Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Letter: Attack on teaching

Comments

Gotland 1 year, 2 months ago

End public unions. Then the teachers can stop using all their time and energy politicking themselves into wallets of the taxpayers and more time teaching.

consumer1 1 year, 2 months ago

So why are Kansas right-wingers so single-minded about disrupting it?

so here is a guy that is a teacher. Openly promoting his political agenda. How can he possibly teach without bias toward Democratic principles or Republican principles. The fact he openly admits freely his hatred for one side of the political process, deems himself incapable of being a fair and un-biased teacher. As far as why the "right winger" trying to undermine the school systema she claims. Let me say they are not trying to undermine the system, but rather demanding accountability for the millions of dollars being spend every year for what this teacher ignorantly calls quality teaching. Any organization that does not have to be held accountable to the citizens is bound to take liberties. In spite of how angelic they like to present themselves. Teachers who willingly teach their personal beliefs should be kicked to the curb. Anministrators who are allowed to police their own misbehavior will always give favorable reports. This has been happening in this local school board for far too long. Accountability for the continual increase in education should be on the minds of every tax payer in the county/ country.

Centerville 1 year, 2 months ago

Wow - it's a tinfoil jungle around here!

Richard Heckler 1 year, 2 months ago

Why are republicans obsessed with busting unions? This isn't about how union dues are paid. This group of people are lying to Kansas and the USA. They want to cut wages and throw tax dollars at corporate private schools. This is how public schools and Unions became the targets of that word evil.

ALEC and corporate USA are convinced that the working class make too much money. Of course these crooks are not going to come out and say that. Hell no that would get them nowhere. Painting Unions as evil suddenly would be the approach to cutting wages. Why does anyone want to work for less money? White collar executives don't and they can afford a wage cut.

For 33 years these radicals have been painting Unions as evil no matter that Unions came to the rescue of the USA working class. People who are not union do little research therefore they decide that misinformed politicians are telling the truth..... talk about earth shattering.

The objective is to cut wages and lay off thousands of teachers. Then bring on vouchers to support the corporate private school industry. Koch money and Wal-Mart money are ready and waiting for they see a ton of easy profit coming to them by way of your tax dollars.

Privatization is money laundering !! Privatization funnels YOUR TAX DOLLARS and MINE into the corporate bank accounts. THIS IS A CORPORATE ENTITLEMENT. Billions and trillions of tax dollars caught the eye of corporate America = easy and guaranteed profits guided by fascist politicians.

Katara 1 year, 2 months ago

"But as growing evidence indicates, only human adults actively teach and only human children know how to learn from being taught. The face-to-face teacher-pupil relationship is deep, human, biologically innate and the ultimate source of all human culture. "

This is such an inaccurate statement.

Privatization is money laundering

Privatization funnels YOUR TAX DOLLARS and MINE into the corporate bank accounts. THIS IS A CORPORATE ENTITLEMENT. Billions and trillions of tax dollars caught the eye of corporate America = easy and guaranteed profits guided by fascist politicians.

Now the corporation becomes dependent on government in addition to skimming tax dollars off the top which get laundered into :

CEO pay packages

Golden Parachutes

Shareholders

GOP special interest campaign cookie jars

Yes our tax dollars are now getting spent recklessly instead of efficiently.

Wage and benefit levels are not safely locked in anymore. Jobs are not safe. Not as long as these Rt Wing Libertarian Neocon Fundamentalist Tea Party for Economic Terrorism folks are running Kansas state government.

Are any of the anti union voices ready to work for less money? Raise your hands. It's okay for everybody else but YOU.

Less government my butt!

Sam Brownback and associates ( Koch,Waltons,etc etc etc) represent BIG BIG BIG government and do not take kindly to those who question their type of BIG BIG BIG government. These BIG BIG BIG government thinkers will keep as many jobless as possible for they believe many will become desperate enough to work for $5.00 per hour thus the corporate bottom line grows and so do the Cayman Island Accounts.

If Brownback cannot acquire enough votes to meet his demands he will merely invoke his executive privilege. Neither democrats nor republicans mean squat to him.

It's all about his personal agenda that he forgot to disclose while campaigning.

lucky_guy 1 year, 2 months ago

rtwngr is stuck in the 70's. Jimmy Carter is not president, any more. The waste and fraud have been rung out. The reason education costs so much is that students have to learn more and have to buy more technology do it. Remember that there has been 5 presidents since Carter and a multitude of initatives (W's No Child Left Behind, O's race to the top), etc. Kansas is down 20% from what 2007? or something. There is no waste anymore.
The old expression is as true today as ever, "you get what you pay for".

Karl_Hungus 1 year, 2 months ago

Dumb humans are easier to herd and to take advantage of.... and that is the Neocon GOP's bread and butter.

rtwngr 1 year, 2 months ago

I too agree that teacher to pupil instruction is the best method to teach. I also agree that schools should be properly funded. As educational standards have regressed the liberals in control screamed, "Spend more money! Higher taxes is the answer. We must throw more money at the problem!"

The school districts and the Federal Department of Education are bloated with waste. Fiscal responsibility is difficult but "more money" doesn't fix poor teaching and poor administration. Jimmy Carter started the Department of Education and we all know what a success he was as President.

George Lippencott 1 year, 2 months ago

While I share the concern with the reduction is available resources I also have a concern with the hyperinflation in this letter. Resources for education must be balanced along with everything else. To date their have been only modest cuts consistent with the experiences of most of our citizens.

AS far as the courts are concerned, I remain unalterable opposed to an unelected body of "elites" establishing the level and priority of my taxes. The Kansas Constitution, IMHO, assigns that task to elected officials. I believe that assignment goes back to unelected royalty making the choices for us.

Dick Sengpiehl 1 year, 2 months ago

David, this is one of the better letters I have read. Thanks for your input. I hope enough Kansans have enough spine to talk to their legislators about what they are trying to do to subvert the constitution. In Douglas County we don't have to worry. We elect moderate democrats and republicans. We have always had pride in our public school system.in Kansas. This Brownback regime in just two years has caused havoc to our schools, the arts,the disabled, and now this blatant grab for power.

Liberty275 1 year, 2 months ago

Elections matter. Sometimes you win, sometimes not so much.

jayhawklawrence 1 year, 2 months ago

Agree with a lot of this letter but not about the Moocs.

I think you will find that this is a situation where all boats will rise together.

Barclay 1 year, 2 months ago

School choice, free market, parental choice with government subsidies, tax credits, and grants for a child's education exists from birth to kindergarten and begins again after 12th grade. Why shouldn't free market MIlton Friedmanistic choices be given to parents during their children's K-12 years? Check the LJW headlines from a couple of years ago- Gary Lewis, former principal of Lawrence's Virtual School (government funded), when he said, "Competition is good for everyone." I agree.

Michael LoBurgio 1 year, 2 months ago

It is clear Gov. Sam Brownback, a licensed attorney in the state of Kansas, does not understand the doctrine of separation of powers.

http://www.hdnews.net/opinionstory/Boone011813

Greg Cooper 1 year, 2 months ago

Good letter, well thought, succinctly presented.

Precisely why it will never be read in Topeka. I am very sorry for you, and each and every one of us who value freedom.

In a very short time, unless the voters of Kansas awaken to the reality of the corporate government, there will be no personal freedom in Kansas.

Think I'm over-emoting? Read the letter again; it's all true. Now, think about how the actions of the cabal in power in Kansas have affected the place you work and the way you live. Things better for you? Or for your boss, the owner? See what I mean?

We live in a "brave new Kansas" and I, for one, am afraid of it.

In the end privatization and vouchers will bring pink slips to thousands of school teachers such that took place in Milwaukee. Think about this.

This entire matter needs voter approval. Let the stakeholders decide aka the taxpayers who cherish a good quality of life backed by a fine education system.

This breed posing as republicans are against unions in general. For thirty years have been painting unions as evil monsters. I think I know who the evil monsters are. Unions represent a better quality of life for the blue and white collar working class. The working class make too much money which Sam Brownback and associates want to fix that..... reduce wages across the board.

For the moment it's the teachers. Tomorrow it is the entire working class.

Think long term impact.

It isn't only union wages that go down. It's most wages. If all unions get busted and those millions upon millions are receiving less that translates into most all other workers making less money because workers across America will quit spending money.

When workers quit spending money what happens for the long term?

People go out of business thus more job losses.

Carpenters,plumbers and electricians go out of business because workers cannot afford more houses.

Property values sink because there is no money and foreclosures continue to rise.

New auto sales will slump AGAIN.

MORE retirement plans will go up in smoke because Wall Street will take a dive because spending which drives investors is no where to be found.

Millions more will not be able to pay for medical insurance.

Sales taxes will increase because all other tax sources have gone up in smoke.

Infrastructure will go longer without maintenance and/or replacement.

This is but a short list.

ALEC Private Schools

Corporate Education Reformers Plot Next Steps at Secretive Meeting

ALEC Education "Academy" Launches on Island Resort by Dustin Beilke

Today, hundreds of state legislators from across the nation will head out to an "island" resort on the coast of Florida to a unique "education academy" sponsored by the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC). There will be no students or teachers. Instead, legislators, representatives from right-wing think tanks and for-profit education corporations will meet behind closed doors to channel their inner Milton Friedman and promote the radical transformation of the American education system into a private, for-profit enterprise.

What is ALEC Scoring on Its Education "Report Card?" Little is known about the agenda of the ALEC education meeting that took place at the Ritz Carlton on Amelia Island. The meeting is not open to the public and recently even the press has been kicked out of meetings and barred from attendance. So to understand the ALEC agenda with regard to education, it is important to examine ALEC's education "scorecard."

ALEC's education bills encompass more than 20 years of effort to privatize public education through an ever-expanding.... http://www.commondreams.org/view/2012/02/02-9

PAA In Florida http://www.causes.com/causes/556335-save-our-schools-march-and-national-call-to-action/actions/1631598

Walton Money Against Public Education http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2011/09/19/walton-influence-at-work-in-wisconsin

Commenting has been disabled for this item.