Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Opinion: Point guard Marcus Smart shows KU what it's missing

Comments

Gregory Newman 1 year, 2 months ago

I've been saying it all the time the guards need to punch on the gas and shoot mid-range 7-14. Its all about shooting in space uncontested. I'm sick of these stupid drives all the way to the basket then to throw the ball away or stupid floaters. Then all of the guards bend at the back instead of bending at the knees.

That is why they can't get away from double teams and their bodys are all twisted up to get rid of the ball. There is good coaching from the visitors bench. it ain't just the players fault. There are 5 coaches that played guard in college that is on that bench and Travis Ford was a much better player than all of them.

Plus no opposing coach is just going to allow Withey to beat them so they will double him. The only way to free Withey is the dribble drive to mid-range shooting in space uncontested. They choke them down then its lob city to all the Bigs.

If any one notices EJ, REL and Thorpe blows by their opponent then forces passes to Withey that are not there when they could pull-up and take the short uncontested jumper and not that silly floater or a bad pass throwing backwards not having a clue of where any of there teammates are.

EJ plays as if he doesn't want any responsibilty he just wants to shoot 3's. Now some of you BS worshipers are angry at me? But go down to Lawrence High and ask coach Dirk Wedd who was the original #23 that he played with that had a 40 inch vertical at 5-9 that shot the lights out at mid-range in 68-69 season. If you don't want to do that then go watch the guards of the KU 88 championship. If not that stay miserable.

Mike Ford 1 year, 2 months ago

Smart has been a lottery pick for a while now and played like one. I hope the Thunder get him with the lottery pick they got in the Rockets trade involving Harden and Martin.

lvlndhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

The game wasn't lost when Johnson fumbled the final possession, or when he handed them the ball on the last play of the first half (just like last game). Starting a player at point guard shouldn't be a decision based on seniority! OSU built their early lead while Elijah was clanking shot after shot from 3 point range, completely oblivious to the point guard's role as facilitator. Coach, I appreciate your loyalty to your seniors, but I think you can consider any debt to Elijah paid in full!

pigballin 1 year, 2 months ago

Well coach,, it is just as much your fault for failing to recruit a PG. And you recruited one that is ranked 150 for next year..what will u do next year? The good thing is that he has recruited some guys at small forward and two at SG that do appear to have better ability to shoot 3 's and handle the ball. I say two at SG,,because i don't see frankamp as a break down dribbler. This team has no real scorers other than McLemore. I don't think it is team that will make it past the sweet 16,,if they get that far. They could very well lose in the 2nd round.

hbjayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

This was a "good loss." Reminded me of the Tennessee game in 08 in some ways. I believe our boys will learn from this en route to an NCAA title. Stop the complaining....

wyattearp2 1 year, 2 months ago

I love when a good ass kicking comes to town. Marcus OSU Smart made a great choice by not coming to KU. GOOOO OOSSSUUU........

Nubrick 1 year, 2 months ago

One game and artsy complex cheese and wine crowd is throwing their hayshakers in.

Here, don't stop the party. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0vFid...

Milton Bland 1 year, 2 months ago

Why in the world did Smart choose OSU over Kansas? If we had him, we would be a lock for the final four.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 2 months ago

I see no need to bash Johnson after seeing that Self did it properly. Goodness. That Smart kid was nails.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.