Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Tax talk, anti-union bills dominate legislative discussion at Lawrence Chamber breakfast

Comments

lunacydetector 1 year, 2 months ago

there are a lot of people who will take their windfall of no state income tax and buy something nice. there will be people that no longer want their "mandatory" union dues taken out and they'll go buy themselves something nice....cry me a river. nice platform for these politicians though at our local chamber of frat rat / sorority girl phony baloney non-commercers (because they've never had to work at all or they work for the government-almost the same thing).

buffalo63 1 year, 2 months ago

"collective bargaining optional", yeah I can see where this is heading. Brownie didn't say NO to this but gives cover those who refuse to bargain. It is the my way or the highway, trample on worker rights, screw the "takers" mentality. Oh! I forgot, it's the teachers fault we are this mess.

JayhawkFan1985 1 year, 2 months ago

The GOP thinks the world is divided into makers and takers. I think the entire GOP is made up of haters. I hope the rest of us are love and respecters.

Nikonman 1 year, 2 months ago

You can have utility bills, credit card payments, car payments, etc., deducted from your bank account every month if you so choose. So what's the problem here? If the unions want regular payments, just have them take it out of your account each month. I'm sure most banks do this now.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 2 months ago

State Minority Leader Anthony Hensley, D-Topeka, whose district includes part of Douglas County, said the next anti-union bill to surface in the Legislature is House Bill 2123, which would eliminate paycheck deductions for union dues and make collective bargaining optional. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ YES!!!! It should read Pro-taxpayer bill...but oh well.

UneasyRider 1 year, 2 months ago

Could someone explain why it says there are 4 comments and only 1 is available to read?

Richard Heckler 1 year, 2 months ago

Think long term impact.

It isn't only union wages that go down. It's most wages. If all unions get busted and those millions upon millions are receiving less that translates into most all other workers making less money because workers across America will quit spending money.

When workers quit spending money what happens for the long term?

People go out of business thus more job losses.

Carpenters,plumbers and electricians go out of business because workers cannot afford more houses.

Property values sink because there is no money and foreclosures continue to rise.

New auto sales will slump AGAIN.

MORE retirement plans will go up in smoke because Wall Street will take a dive because spending which drives investors is no where to be found.

Millions more will not be able to pay for medical insurance.

Sales taxes will increase because all other tax sources have gone up in smoke.

Infrastructure will go longer without maintenance and/or replacement.

This is but a short list.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.