Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Diversity official Rodriguez leaving KU different than he found it 35 years ago

Comments

oakfarm 1 year, 7 months ago

Hopefully someday we'll get past defining diversity in terms of skin color, get back to defining a university in terms of the diversity of ideas, thought and expression, and get back to defining equity or equality in terms of opportunity rather than wealth re-distribution.

fiddleback 1 year, 7 months ago

Sad but unsurprising that the first comment on a great man's career is full of knee-jerk and wrong-headed presumptions...

First, diversity is hardly just skin color; it encompasses myriad differences in identity and background based on class, gender, abilities/challenges, family structure, community culture, etc. They mention minority enrollment towards the end as that's obviously an easily-measured attribute. But the goal is pursuing diversity in all aspects, not just the more quantifiable areas.

Second, "equity" is defined as equality of opportunity at KU; your wealth-redistribution reference is totally off-base and perfectly illustrates your festering partisan grudge.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 7 months ago

What a waste of money. What does this guy really do? In the private sector this would be an additional duty for some poor smuck which could be completed once every 6 months. No wonder higher education is so expensive. Get out of bed and go to work every day and no one would care what color your skin is.

bhallen 1 year, 7 months ago

Obviously this reader has no idea what he/she is talking about. Every major company and/or organization in the private sector has a director of diversity or a chief diversity officer. Maybe this individual needs a little "education" themselves!!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 7 months ago

I knew xenophobia would rear its ugly head sooner or later.

homechanger 1 year, 7 months ago

We knew you would add to your more than 30,000 replies bozo. Do you do anything else but sit on the urial world site and argue? It must take a long time to post 30,000 plus times. Thanks for playing for our amusement though.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 7 months ago

"It must take a long time to post 30,000 plus times."

Yep. Nearly 8 years. But, typically, most posts don't take more than a couple of minutes, even if I think about it (something you apparently didn't do prior to the above post.)

So if I give up posting here, what should I do instead? Maybe play fantasy football?

LadyWolf 1 year, 7 months ago

Good for you, Fred!
As for the trolls who seem to be the only people out there, I wish for your hearts and minds to find a way to contribute positively to a conversation as Dr. Rodriguez did for many years! That said, I commend Dr. Rodriguez and many others who brought the PDS program to reality at KU. I was lucky enough to have been in the original (experimental) year…anyone remember how we would laugh at being the experiments? Anyhow, it wasn’t, and ISN’T, just about skin color. Never was. It’s about fair and responsible treatment for all students and people. Have a kid with a disability? Want the best for that beloved child? Can you say diversity, equity? Have a female child? Want her to have all the opportunities she deserves? I thought so… That is what the program is about. That is what Dr. Rodriguez and the rest of our professors helped people get better at doing. Probably time to get down off my soapbox. Good luck in all you do, Fred. By the way, other Rodriguez’ have made great, positive contributions to children and education! Your family “walks the walk”. Take good care of each other!!

fiddleback 1 year, 7 months ago

That's rather facile to merit a reply, but sufficed to say human groups always have and will continue to form based on obvious commonalities. That's exactly why larger institutions have an obligation to design processes and monitor functioning in pursuit of greater fairness and opportunity, lest certain groups gain systemic advantages or disadvantages.

bunnyhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

A well deserved tribute to a very hard working and talented professor. Congratulations, Fred, on a career well lived!

Cindy Yulich 1 year, 7 months ago

A good man who has done a tremendous job for te university and thousands of students lucky enough to have crossed his path!

Commenting has been disabled for this item.