Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Brownback seeking end of property tax deduction for homeowners

Comments

bobberboy 1 year, 2 months ago

and kansas property owners will be seeking an end to browncracked !!!!

autie 1 year, 2 months ago

All banter aside, this is another kick in the teeth to all the working family wage earners who bust their butts to make the dream and buy a home. Those deductions on a annualized basis don't seem like much but it is quite the kick when it is on the tax bill in a lump sum..that many times equals a house payment...thats a lot of groceries too. How many out there are hard working families toeing the line month to month and make all their payments...to get slugged in the stomach by Sam Brownsack.

bobberboy 1 year, 2 months ago

the only thing browncrack ever learned from the Bible is how to rob Peter to pay Paul !

Armstrong 1 year, 2 months ago

The bouncing ball of liberal logic.

I want taxes for ... ( but not on me )

I want the benefits ( but I dont want to pay for them )

I want money to spend on ... ( your money )

Stain 1 year, 2 months ago

Kansas, this is what you voted for. Kiss the Kochs and screw the average working citizen who just wants to feed his family and put a roof over their heads.

Silverhair 1 year, 2 months ago

The rich benefit the most from itemizing because they have much higher amounts to deduct. The middle class will have lower itemized deductions, closer to the standard deduction. The big benefit to itemizing is realized by the wealthy though, which makes this proposed change a bit surprising.

Armstrong 1 year, 2 months ago

Let me see if I can follow the bouncing logic ball.

Liberals like taxes for progams X,Y and Z.....

Liberals want taxes to be " fair "

Liberals do not like to be taxed to take care of programs X,Y and Z because it's a burden.

An across the board property tax is unfair

I could never be a liberal, way to hard to keep the contradictions straight

Cait McKnelly 1 year, 2 months ago

Let me amend that. I feel very sorry for the residents of Lawrence. YOU didn't elect these people to the state house. But man, are you feeling the consequences of others Koch addiction.

Cait McKnelly 1 year, 2 months ago

As I've said before, I live in a state that has no personal income tax. As a consequence, the property tax on our home is quite literally a third of our monthly house payment..
I feel very sorry for Kansans and what you're looking at.
BOHICA

Charles Fogarty 1 year, 2 months ago

The Republican war on the middle-class continues. And people will vote these plutocrats back into power again and again. Vote against your own self-interest as long as women cannot control their own bodies and Gays remain second-class citizens because all of that is what God wills. Buckley over half a century ago called America a nation of sheep because they just followed their liberal "shepherds" but now the sheep vote for the wolves and seem to like it. The sheep think they're free.

citizen1 1 year, 2 months ago

Please forgive me, just please stop he class warfare dialogue.

THe issue is what is best for the USA & by extension every person in the country.

If you really want equity between government& its citizens, it must be responsive to we the citizens. Then demand & support "Term Limits". We have to stop the "power players in our governments", at all levels, who have been elected for too many years & become insulated from us. They become all about their party and not about the real needs of we the people.

The tax code needs to be changed in a sensible way providing not only equity but also provide long term stimulus to the economy.

Thekudude 1 year, 2 months ago

I come from a wealth family and I usually voice the protection of the wealthy. However, I am not wealthy. I noticed the Social Security withholding increase on my paycheck and my wife's compounded with changes in my flex spending. We are losing $250 per month as of January 2013. THAT AMOUNT OF MONEY IS NOTICABLE TO US! If I made 6 figures, I would make a cutback on one of my many luxuries. WE DON'T HAVE MANY LUXURIES!!
I agree with the fact that the middle class is vanishing. You are either well off and working hard to maintain it, or you are barely able to afford the normal American lifestyle and struggling to maintain that. You know, a house, a car, maybe 1 activity for your kids each month. Ridiculous.
Cut spending AMERICA! That's how we are getting by... We don't need rich idiots running the state and country. They are just out of touch with US. Otherwise you wouldn't take money from US to continue spending money on NOTHING.

KANORADO 1 year, 2 months ago

This will also shrink the Government spending at the State Level. Great Job Brownback!!! It is good to see Majority rules. Brownback captured the vote of the majority of the people, and he is doing wonderful work. Great Job Sam... To balance any budget it is necessary to shrink the spending first, not to collect more money...

William Weissbeck 1 year, 2 months ago

Is this just Brownback's cynical attack on government (any government) at all levels? Eliminate the state income tax and shift government services and education funding to the local level, BUT them make it more difficult for local governments to raise property taxes to offset the loss of revenue and added program responsibilities. What is the Koch Bros. secret plan?

jjt 1 year, 2 months ago

Brownback admirers, Republicans, Democrats and others, if you own a home pay attention. Mrs Thatcher did this in 1988 in the UK and collapsed the property market. Our sales dropped over a 6 week period by around 70%. It is not about a 1500 +/- deduction. It is about confidence. If the same thing happened here as did ion the UK then not only does confidence tank the property market and the value of your home but also has a real knock on effect on car sales restaurants, clothes sales etc. In the UK the market never really recovered.
My fear is the Brownback does not realise or does not care about what the impact of his policy might be. Mrs Thatcher messed this up by thinking she knew better than her advisers, her Chancellor is still alive and has confirmed it was a mistake "seemed like a good logical idea".

Gotland 1 year, 2 months ago

Get rid of all deductions and lower income taxes. This is what is best for the people in the long run. Good job.

Steve Miller 1 year, 2 months ago

Browny sucks, here we go again, he is robbing us .. Only the rich will support Browny .. ( Brown eye),, LOL !!

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 2 months ago

All you moochers have the option of moving to another state...just a thought. (Then those of us who actually pay income taxes wont have to carry you any more)

leftylucky 1 year, 2 months ago

Sam is using kansas as a Opus Dei testing ground for their eventual takeover of the world.

webmocker 1 year, 2 months ago

In other words, and this has probably been said somewhere in the messages above, Brownback reduced income taxes for all, eliminated them for businesses, small and large, and now plans to go back and raise them on the middle class.

prospector 1 year, 2 months ago

The world according to Sam, 'loopholes" like these are bad because they are not "job creators". But sure they are, they will be forcing the folks to take a part time jobs to make ends meet and look at the bucks the babysitters will be raking in. That's a plan!

And Loophole Lynn (CPA) will be coming at you on the Federal level real soon. Then we can start talking about some serious bucks.

50YearResident 1 year, 2 months ago

Remember. this is the man who wants to be your next President, King Brownback, hail the King.

btsflk 1 year, 2 months ago

OOps, forgot to include children, and their teachers.

btsflk 1 year, 2 months ago

Obviously, the gov is trying to annihilate what's left of the middle class.

We were once middle class.

We get the message, anyone who is poor, infirm or old, either leave or die of neglect. The new and improved Ks is meant for the wealthy and corporate.

Centerville 1 year, 2 months ago

I'll look forward to the reasoning on this. Possibly it's to put downward pressure on property taxes...which would be a good thing.

catfishturkeyhunter 1 year, 3 months ago

They don't call him Brownback for nothing.

Alexander Smith 1 year, 3 months ago

HOLY COW.. I read this and WTF!. BrownB is a moron. How did ANYONE vote for this guy. He is going to destroy Kansas. He wants to cut this,, cut that,, to try and get our budget right. WHAT ABOUT THE STUPID capital restoration??? HOW LONG has the company been sucking 100s of millions of dollars out of our budget?

Also, for personal reason he rejected the funds to do the Obama medical stuf.. it was a huge amount of money and would of brought in a lot of jobs. As much as people may not like it, we need to boost the economy in KS and sometimes you have to do things that rub you the wrong way.

I am Republican and this guy is going to destroy us.

Steven Gaudreau 1 year, 3 months ago

The rich have more expensive homes so they pay more property tax and loan interest. I do not know one person that lives in $500,000+ home that can pay cash on the loan balance. Some of you seem to think if a person makes $250k, they are mega rich and rolling in cash. That is not the case.

streetman 1 year, 3 months ago

Hey -- eliminating these deductions will hurt those damn "rich" people more than the rest of us, since they tend to have larger mortgages and higher property taxes. That'll teach 'em to be successful!!

jesse499 1 year, 3 months ago

Trouble is the haves are not paying and the have nots are not paying and every one in the middle keeps picking up more of the tab and we're running out.

lunacydetector 1 year, 3 months ago

as a born again liberal, i applaud any and all tax increases...everyone needs to pay their fair share so there are no haves and have nots.

kernal 1 year, 3 months ago

I think I hear the final death knell of attracting retirees to Lawrence.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 3 months ago

Looks like again, taxes are great as long as you are not the one paying them.

none2 1 year, 3 months ago

"Brownback’s administration argues that ongoing decreases in income tax rates and last year’s increase in standard deductions for married couples and single heads of households will make the two deductions for homeowners less important."

In other words: If your status is single (which includes widows/widowers) screw you.

mikekt 1 year, 3 months ago

Nuts,......as usual !

Cool-aide government !

Drink it up boys and girls !

markoo 1 year, 3 months ago

C'mon Dave Trabert, where are you to help defend Brownie here? Tell us how great of an idea this is just to help pay for his taxcuts that primarily benefit your Koch Bros client.

In_God_we_trust 1 year, 3 months ago

I would be in favor of getting rid of the personal property tax altogether. How about it Gov. Brownback? A great way to cut taxes!

Stain 1 year, 3 months ago

Brownback loves SNEAKY TAXES and regressive taxes.

Stain 1 year, 3 months ago

This will really hurt the housing market. This deduction helps many people afford to buy a home.

myavaka 1 year, 3 months ago

For over 120 years now, Republican (failed) fiscal policy has consisted largely of cutting taxes on the rich and raising them on everyone else. Originally called "Horse and Sparrow" during the time of 'Silent Cal' Coolidge (feed the horse enough oats and the sparrow should get some as it filters through to the road below), and subsequently named "Trickle Down" by Will Rogers about Hoover's economy, it has NEVER WORKED. Well, OK, it has definitely 'worked' to penalize low and middle-income Americans and engorge the coffers of the rich. Today, this malarkey is cloaked in "Job Creator" nonsense rhetoric. I just completely fail to understand how how rank and file middle or working class Republicans can buy this crap. It is eating them alive just like the rest of us.

jayhawklawrence 1 year, 3 months ago

I want to drink whatever koolaid Brownback is drinking.

lawrenceguy40 1 year, 3 months ago

Laughable liberal logic here. They have spent the last few weeks complaining bitterly about Governor Brownback's income tax cuts. Now some people will be paying slightly more by eliminating a couple of deductions (though they will still be paying less with the new rates) they complain about that. How do they want it? Of course, they want all the free handouts as long as the other guy pays.

It is time for them to grow up and stop whinging. I applaud Goveronor Brownback for his stance on this!

Liberty275 1 year, 3 months ago

Brownback calls for a progressive change in taxes (poor folks won't likely pay mortgage interest on the trailer they rent) and the left kneejerks with hate and telling us this is evil.

It's pretty funny.

verity 1 year, 3 months ago

The emperor has no clothes.

We all know by now what the agenda is---

vuduchyld 1 year, 3 months ago

I did the math and I came up with $141,000,000. How do the Brownshirts get to $231,000,000???

none2 1 year, 3 months ago

In theory, It does sound logical to eliminate many of the deductions. If we couldn't deduct mortgage interest and property tax, then people wouldn't put up with the Banking industry charging way too much for mortgages nor with local governments going crazy on property tax. In Douglas County, people have no qualms passing anything that costs money. I cannot recall many times anything was defeated when put to a vote. Likewise, bankers couldn't get your money as easily if we couldn't afford these mortgage costs -- not just the straight interest, but the other misc fees they added to. Note, they should also probably eliminate personal property deductions on cars...

That all being said, i am NOT for ANY this at this time. We have too much to worry about in this state to do social experimenting. If Brownback had spent his time working to keep employers like Boeing in Wichita, we would be better off than with these social crusades of his.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 3 months ago

Have no fear the banking/real estate/building industry can probably bribe him into changing his mind..... which may well be his agenda.

Tony Kisner 1 year, 3 months ago

Snakefist comment makes to much sense for our governor to understand. This is the governor picking winners and losers.

James Nelson 1 year, 3 months ago

Go to hell, Sam, and take your poor and middle class hating legislative buddies with you. And stop with the Christian ruse. Its totally insane for you to think you have heaven all locked up for yourself because of your stance on abortion.

toe 1 year, 3 months ago

Very good. This deduction only helps the rich.

Larry Sturm 1 year, 3 months ago

Time to pull in the reins on Brown back before he completely destroys Kansas.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 3 months ago

Sam Brownback is not in touch with his colleagues only his immediate ALEC advisors. Whether or not anyone agrees with him is irrelevant. He may plan on on exerting his executive powers as in telling the legislature " go straight to hell I'm the dictator" .

Hooligan_016 1 year, 3 months ago

This is insane.

Maybe the suburban conservatives will finally wake up and see how bad of a choice Brownback is/was.

SnakeFist 1 year, 3 months ago

I don't understand. Brownback wants to raise more money via the income tax by eliminating mortgage interest and property tax deductions, but his ultimate goal is to eliminate the income tax altogether. If we don't need any revenue at all from the income tax (such that it can be eliminated), then why do we need to increase revenue by eliminating deductions from the income tax?

irvan moore 1 year, 3 months ago

wow, take that housing market rebound and kiss it goodbye

Commenting has been disabled for this item.