Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On KU student organizing marrow donor drive in honor of husband with lymphoma

Comments

StanTrekell 1 year, 8 months ago

My hat is off to both Jonathan and his wife Sharilyn for their pro-active, pay-it-forward stance. At a time when it would be perfectly understandable to get lost in self pity, they have chosen to come to the aid of fellow victims and to do something positive.

Here is a video link to Kansas City's KSHB Channel 41 that ran a feature story on the Mathews family during Jonathan’s initial bout with cancer:

http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/health/Cancer-treatment-gives-Lawrence-couple-reasons-to-celebrate-life

In closing, I hope everyone will consider attending one of the three scheduled fund raisers and help this couple put their life---and the lives of countless others---back on track. If you are unable to attend in person, you can still contribute to the drive, which costs $100 per registrant, by logging in at:

bethematchfoundation.org/goto/TeamMathews

Thank you for posting the LJW link to this story on your social media pages.

Currahee 1 year, 8 months ago

I had a really nice friend who I met my freshman year in college. He was diagnosed with non hodgkin's lymphoma. It went into remission after a year of treatment, but later reappeared. He was not lucky the 2nd time around and passed away before he could complete his degree. While non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is different than Hodgkin's, I wish you the best of luck in your efforts to recover.

riverdrifter 1 year, 8 months ago

Well, I would've thrown my hat in the ring, but my arse is too old as is my marrow. It's probably too pickled by now anyway. Good luck to these kids and fare thee well.

riverdrifter 1 year, 8 months ago

BTW, I'll be there in Lecompton on the 31st, as will Roedy! :-)

Jennifer Klopp 1 year, 8 months ago

Having had cancer in the past excludes me from registering as a bone marrow donor, but best of luck to you Jonathan. I hope you find a match soon and everything goes well for you,

costello 1 year, 8 months ago

I've been on the Be The Match registry for 7 or 8 years now. I was lucky enough to find a drive where you didn't have to pay to join the registry. My understanding is that some people do have to pay to join. I couldn't tell from this article if they were asking for payment from potential registry members? Or is the fund raiser meant to cover the costs?

I've heard in the past that minorities are underrepresented on the bone marrow donor registry. In fact I ended up on the registry myself, because I had dragged a Hispanic friend there to get her registered and figured I should go ahead too. Neither of us has ever been called about donating, but I think the idea is to get as many people as possible on the registry to increase the odds of finding a good match when needed.

Christine Anderson 1 year, 8 months ago

I hear 'ya, Jonathan. Cancer at an early age, ( at any age) sucks ! Prayers ahd best wishes. If I wasn't newly diagnosed with cancer myself, I'd be glad to register.

bevy 1 year, 8 months ago

Come on out to the Taco Dinner. We'll feed ya good, and you can help a good cause too. Besides, we need to load test our new parking lot.

Mathews Family -we will continue to uphold you in our prayers!

KansasHen 1 year, 8 months ago

In case someone may have reservations about donating stem cells it is not the same procedure it was years ago. If you are a match you will be given injections to boost your stem cells and then at the time of the transplant you go through a blood draw that removes the stem cells from your blood to be used. it is an amazing gift to to be able to give to someone. Also, the closer the match the fewer issues with rejection the person recieving them will have. The more people on the list the better the odds.

Lili31ks 1 year, 8 months ago

My son was the kid recently diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma and Histoplasmosis on his Birthday last month. You can follow his story at www.facebook.com/prayforzay. Many prayers to this family, friends and loved ones. I think this is a great thing to do! If I wasn't so overwhelmed with the care of my child these days, we would attend. Good luck to you all!

desertrose 1 year, 8 months ago

Since I am a cancer survivor (1992) & past the age limit I donated money to help. I wish I was able to be the Match and do something as wonderful to help someone else. I wish everyone could take the time to be tested and see how important this is. I challenge everyone to make this one of you acts of kindness this year! Please take the time!

desertrose 1 year, 7 months ago

The way I understand it there is no cost to be tested today. The fund raising money is to help register donors on the registry list. The test is a painless swab of the mouth. There is more information in the article and the story is also in the KU paper today.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.