Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Woman charged with driving vehicle through home

Comments

parrothead8 1 year, 11 months ago

This is not someone who needs to be behind the wheel of a vehicle for a while. I hope a judge helps her understand the difference between a privilege and a right.

Christine Anderson 1 year, 11 months ago

So...if she is angry with someone, the only course of action is to drive her car thru their home? I think I hear a cuckoo clock.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 11 months ago

It appears to me that it was only an accident that no one was killed because of Ms. Wilson's apparently intentional and irresponsible actions. Since everyone was just plain lucky that day, the penalty won't be severe. But I'm sure that if someone had been killed, it would be treated as a very serious crime. I really don't understand why the law makes such a big distinction based on sheer luck in cases not only like this one, but also in other driving infractions such as intoxicated driving as well.

GUMnNUTS 1 year, 11 months ago

$100, 000 in damages? Was the house full of antiques? The home is only valued at 148k.

Claire Williams 1 year, 11 months ago

Fixing a house with serious damage like the kind described is just as expensive as buying a new house.

msezdsit 1 year, 11 months ago

gotta like her tenacity. I wouldn't have thought you could make it that far into a house without it falling on you or something. Usually you see someone do this and they just get through the first wall with the back of the car sticking out in the newspapers photo. Great job.

anger management anyone?

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 11 months ago

They should put her in one of those Liberty Tax Service suits and make her dance in zero degree weather.

Tony Holladay 1 year, 11 months ago

Come on, give the cuzz a break. Google maps steered her in the wrong direction. She's such a nice girl...

After looking at the house, it appears that the garage doors are boarded up so, actually, she drove through the garage doors which offered little challenge and entered the house through the back of the garage and then had only one more wall to drive through to exit. Even that is pretty impressive. Probably hit a couch or two. Nice work. Who could have planned it.

Ken Lassman 1 year, 11 months ago

Re-read the article: she went through multiple interior walls and there were people in the home. I don't understand why assault with a deadly weapon isn't a more useful charge, but I guess the level 7 felony charge would be enough to put her behind bars in order for her to think about things.

Yeah, I read the article and I have been in dozens of houses that look just like it and have similar floor plans. Most have a stairwell right behind the back wall of the garage in which case she would have either been lucky and jumped or they don't have a basement. Several is not exactly definitive. Really only implies probably more than one. Don't take my comment as supporting this ridiculous act. Very dangerous and should be assault with a deadly weapon, agree with you on that. I am only making humor of it because no one was seriously hurt. I mean how many time do you read about someone driving through a house intentionally. Thankfull for that.

pace 1 year, 11 months ago

I am glad that she wasn't successful in murdering people.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 11 months ago

Police later determined Wilson ran the vehicle into the home after an argument with someone in the home.

Criminal damage is a level-7, nonperson felony. Punishment can range from probation to up to three years in prison, depending on a person's criminal history. Wilson was released on a $7,500 bond.

---"criminal damage" reeeeeeeally? it's a miracle that noone was injured!
anybody give odds on her getting only probation for this??? amazing.

and the story implies that she's out on the street now. and hey she's probably driving too, yaay!

kernal 1 year, 11 months ago

But at least her car insurance premium will go up.

Brian Conrad 1 year, 11 months ago

if she had some dope on her it would have been mandatory prison time... but try and kill someone .. liberals... probation..

Alceste 1 year, 11 months ago

The historical preservationists aren't going to like this matter one bit. That house was historical in it's design and most certainly was on "their" list to be so designated. What ever shall we do?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 11 months ago

Yea, it looks to be from the Ticky-Tacky period of architecture, circa 1998.

beatrice 1 year, 11 months ago

Heck, next thing you know Obama will say people can't drive rocket cars on the streets.

homechanger 1 year, 11 months ago

She s also a registered democrat. Maybe Obama should ban democrats.

kernal 9 hours, 37 minutes ago

But at least her car insurance premium will go up.

---and RE the commercial, the judge orders her name officially changed to:

May Hem.

cheeseburger 9 hours, 22 minutes ago

How about premeditated attempted manslaughter or attempted murder?

---yeah! premeditation is obvious, attempted murder? assault with a deadly weapon?
heck, she exploded the waterheater on the way through, there oughta be a good charge for that alone!

where's this little princess live anyway?
I do hope thatthe sentence includes at least suspension of her driver's license.

MacHeath 3 hours, 29 minutes ago

So..If that would have been your daughter, and she was getting back at an abusive bf or something...wouldn't you be just a little bit proud?

---well, also RE comment above, maybe she's got a future as a stunt performerin Hollywood, lol.
but if she were my daughter, getting even? naw ... better to do something you aren't going to get caught at, plus this could've ended pretty bad for her and a lot of others. pretty bad.

it's only stupid luck that there's not somebody dead or maimed severely for life. and right now the "criminal damage" charge is a pathetic joke.

beatrice 1 year, 11 months ago

Um... there are many safety regulations on vehicles already. You can't drive a rocket car on the city streets, you can't drive a vehicle above a certain size on roads without special licensing, you can't drive at night with your lights off, you can't take a child out to the driving range before they turn a certain age, you can't speed and you can't drive drunk, you have to prove the ability to operate a vehicle safely before given a license, ... Also, many with mental issues cannot get a drivers license.

As a comparison, equating regulations on automobiles and guns isn't that far fetched. Both have restrictions placed on them for public safety.

You really didn't think this line of argument through, now did you?

Ken Lassman 1 year, 11 months ago

Are you trying to garner some kind of admiration and respect for someone who apparently has some real mental health issues running a car through a house occupied by a family, making up in your mind that there must be some abusive former boyfriend that would justify the assault that could have run over a kid, and by sheer luck didn't blow the house up when she clipped the water heater, clip a gas line, or damage the car???

Well get over it, Mac, this ain't a TV show and there were real lives involved, folks who probably don't appreciate your putting this girl on a pedestal. I know I don't.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 10 months ago

commenting was disabled under today's presentation that included the added charges against this little princess.
I'm so glad the DA has at least added one charge. maybe she won't just get probation ... maybe?

• Prosecutors have charged a 19-year-old Lawrence woman with aggravated endangerment of a child in connection with a Nov. 18 incident in which a vehicle was driven into a Lawrence house . The felony charge was added to a count of criminal damage Thursday in Douglas County Court. Megan Victoria Wilson was arrested Jan. 16., two months after police allege Wilson intentionally ran her vehicle into a home in the 1900 block of East 30th Street shortly before 9 a.m. on Nov. 18. People were home at the time, but no one was injured. Aggravated endangerment of a child carries a possible sentence of up to 17 months in prison. Criminal damage can require a sentence of probation or up to three years in prison, depending on a person’s criminal history. Wilson is free on a $7,500 bond.

---is she driving?

is she playing softball?

Aggravated endangerment of a child carries a possible sentence of up to 17 months in prison.

---sadly, with our lax DA, we have to ask: what's the minimum for Aggravated child endangerment?

his policies endanger all of us.

... and as noted above, *why isn't she charged with assault, ADW, attempted murder, etc., etc.,???

Wilson is free on a $7,500 bond.

---pretty low bond given what she did, but guess given the minimal charge, ...

Commenting has been disabled for this item.