Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Attorney General's office pays almost $597K to defend abortion laws

Comments

Cait McKnelly 2 years ago

Now HERE'S a rather cool piece of legislation.

http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/article/2012/03/16/alabama-senator-coleman-introduces-right-to-professional-medical-judgement-act-sp

"No physician or health care provider licensed to practice in the State of Alabama shall be forced by state or local regulatory authority to perform any medical service or component of medical service if the service or component of service is not medically necessary or would be harmful to the patient and the patient does not desire the medical service. The right to practice within the scope of a medical license supersedes any existing or future legislative act. "

Too bad we don't have any legislators in the Kansas State House with the brass to introduce something similar.

JayhawkFan1985 2 years ago

Right wing (Taliban) extremism wins out over the GOP's fictional fiscal conservatism. They are about returning society to a late 1800's era where white men dominated everything. It is time Americans generally and Kansans specifically wake up and realize that is what they are about...

dabbindan 2 years ago

hoping they are sowing the seeds for their defeat in the next few statewide elections.

weiser 2 years ago

I'm not; and never was, my Mother's body.

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years ago

How much would a Lawyer cost me to get out of an "Eagle egg" eating binge I had recently?

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years ago

WOW! and to think. Because of "Liberaltine" malefactors and their "pell mell" carnal knowledge endeavors, this money could have been spent on "Art".

Paul R Getto 2 years ago

Told ya the Gov had a jobs plan. It seems mainly targeted at law firms, but it's a start.

autie 2 years ago

In the main case involving Planned Parenthood I don't believe abortion was or is an issue. That is what makes it even more insane.

The office says it paid nearly $317,000 to Foulston Siefken, a Wichita firm helping defend a budget provision denying federal family planning dollars for non-abortion services to Planned Parenthood. The group has a federal lawsuit against the measure

Denying federal family planning dollars for non abortion services. Yes, go be noble and self rightous and just make the problem worse. Throw some gas on the fire, that ought to help.

2 years ago

Now we know one of the reasons The Guv didn't fund the arts in Kansas. He knew the state would need the money to defend BS laws.

Wait until it comes time to defend the discriminatory law designed solely to punish Lawrence for having the sheer audacity to believe that people have rights.

tomatogrower 2 years ago

This money could have gone towards helping women who chose to have an abortion, but didn't have enough money to have a baby. Think of how many it would have helped. And educating the born. Instead it went to a lawyer who probably has more money than he needs anyway.

grammaddy 2 years ago

The GOP will pay for this next November. Watch and see.

yourworstnightmare 2 years ago

Sad. Sad that right wing ideologues demagogue this painful and personal issue for their own political gain.

Is having an abortion a good thing? No. Neither are having a heart transplant or cancer surgery.

Is abortion a necessary option? Yes.

It is sad that there are shameless ideologues who exploit this issue for political gain. Sad.

Patricia Davis 2 years ago

No one loves an abortion. It is, however, legal for a woman to make this difficult choice. It would not be necessary if irresponsible men were castrated, then place in stocks in a public place.

rockchalk1977 2 years ago

What is a human life worth? Based on the comments so far, not much to you abortion loving liberals.

pace 2 years ago

"The Kansas attorney general's office paid outside lawyers almost $597,000 through March to defend anti-abortion laws enacted last year."

Rather than defending goofy laws designed to stop women from their legal rights. I sure would like the Attorney Generals office to declare war on ID theft and consumer fraud. That is my wish. Protect our rights and our commerce

Joe Hyde 2 years ago

Wow, almost $600K in taxpayer money wasted on lawyers when each Kansas woman could have been shown the empowering respect of letting her decide for herself how best to control her reproductive life.

Whatever happened to the Republican mantra of "getting government off the backs of the people"? Don't they know women are people? People who can vote?

Commenting has been disabled for this item.