Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On House gives final approval to bill that opponents say will allow discrimination of gays

Comments

pace 2 years ago

Tax the churches and require them to operate under legal labor law.

beanyncecil 2 years ago

It's rather laughable that most of the people posting here bemoan the loss of their perceived rights while actively calling for Christians to be denied the right to practice their religious beliefs--a right granted them by a little thing called the Constitution of the United States.

kansanjayhawk 2 years ago

The issue is really about religious liberty and the freedom of conscience! Every American should still retain the freedoms granted in the constitution and not be forced to accept and even subsidize lifestyles they do not support or condone!

observant 2 years ago

Simple fact, in Kansas if you're gay, you have no rights. Ask any GOP/Teabagger such as Kinzer or our belover TerriLois. Terri, the only one that definitely is dumber than he and even brownie. Baldwin might be nice place, but the level of ignorance shown by voters there is frightening. Hell, just look at her photos, that is very scary.

Cait McKnelly 2 years ago

Lance Kinzer needs to go down like the Titanic. Anybody have the sack to run against him?

MarchHare 2 years ago

Absolutely nauseating. I realize I moved from the East Coast to the Bible Belt folks, but I didn't think you'd be packing your government with so many mental neanderthals. Christ, At a time when Kansans are facing great uncertainty in their lives due to the economy as well as deep and unprecedented cuts to programs that support their health and welfare, how can any elected official in Topeka be serious about an issue that so few in the public count as either a threat or even a concern?

I'll admit, out in America where people are progressive minded, I'd never even heard of Fred Phelps or his bogus "church", HA, but from what I have seen in the last year living here, all I can think to say is that Rev. Fred Phelps, protests an army, and a nation, that tolerates homosexuality, based on his interpretation of the Bible (and cherry picking the doctrine therein he will honor). So what those of you, including the elected officials in favor of this "bill" are signing up to join his religion of absurdity and hypocrisy. Just something to think about.

Say and think what you will... whatever helps you sleep at night. But you're no more backwards, ill-informed, and annoying than he is.

There's no such thing as a (true) Christian full of hate.

Randall Uhrich 2 years ago

It's obviously unconstitutional. Too bad the courts don't do a better job of protecting society against these bigoted legislators.

tscaf2000 2 years ago

I believe we should preserve our religious freedoms. But not to the point of discrimination. We Christians believe that the bible is righteous to the end. If it happened in the bible then it is a written law (Commandment). Okay so be it. From the science side of the story we all evolved from ape. Ooops they too show a homosexual trait. Guess what. Doesn't matter what or why laws are written, we can fight them. But they're going to be approved anyway. Come on people we all live in a State, that allows people like Phelps to preach his maddness. Does it matter. If a landlord won't rent to a same sex couple, then we the people, need not rent from him either. And word of mouth is more harmful then law. People won't rent if you can prove what a dirtbag the landlord is. Okay...Enough said. It's a stupid law and a waste of our tax payer dollars.

deec 2 years ago

So can I demand stores stop selling shrimp and pork now, since they are forbidden in the Bible?

Alyosha 2 years ago

So there are religions in Kansas for which a main article of faith is that you can't rent to homosexuals? This is simply dressing up prejudice in religious terms.

excitable2761 2 years ago

we are always trying to stop people like the westboro church and the politicans feed them more amunition. for christ sakes im all about the contitution but our fore fathers were in a different time and era,its time for us to step out of that era and make laws that apply to everyone not the ones who are not like me. i am sick of politicians standing behind anti - bullying and pass laws that do just that.its time for us as people to take the power from the politicians and make this land for THE PEOPLE once again.

Theres_DOH_Place_Like_Kansas 2 years ago

The Jayhawks need to BLOT OUT out the word "Kansas" on their basketball jerseys this weekend!

ksjayhawk74 2 years ago

I just realized a loophole in the law. It allows people (presumably Christians in Kansas) to discriminate against people. However, if these people do discriminate, they are not true Christians. As Jesus is the example for Christianity, I know that he would not discriminate. Jesus had a way of accepting people no matter what, especially people who ignored and hated by others.

So since we know they're not actually Christian simply by discriminating, they shouldn't be allowed to use the new law.

Just like a cop who is found to accept basketball tickets to take care of some speeding tickets is no longer a cop and and cases they were involved in are trashed because the former cop has demonstrated they they did not do their job properly and can not be called to testify against the defendant, because they are no longer on the force, so they testimony is worthless.

George_Braziller 2 years ago

And the state of Kansas takes yet another step back toward 1890. Carrie Nation must be banging her hatchet on the coffin lid wanting to get out and join in on the fun.

yourworstnightmare 2 years ago

This comment was removed by the site staff for violation of the usage agreement.

Mike Willoughby 2 years ago

DON'T RENT your property to HOMOs! UNLESS you want them to move in, redecorate, fix up the place, re-landscape and take care of the lawn, park nice cars in the driveway and in general raise your property values. Otherwise, DON'T rent to HOMOs.

PS Hey Kansas, there's this thing already in the US constitution called the first amendment that protects your religious freedoms, you don't need to legislate it any further.

PPS I'm a HOMO so I can say that!

blindrabbit 2 years ago

In the national standing, is the positive spin of The University of Kansas basketball team enough to overcome the negative press of this legislation? Already, the State is garnering quite a bit of notoriety and reputation with Brownback, Kobach, Phelps, bigotation, Dorothy, flat, featureless, Board of Ed., No Arts Funding, Goat Gland Doctor and the Koch-a-Kolas. " God bless us all, each and every one" (C. Dickens).

Corey Keizer 2 years ago

Whenever I start missing the 1800's, I look to political news from Kansas.

UltimateGrownup 2 years ago

Homosexuality is not a race and the term "discrimination" does not apply. Homosexuality is against the law in Kansas, as are many other kinds of self-defeating sexual behavior. It is hard to picture a law prohiting discrimination against the burglar race, the littering race, or the drunk driving race, to borrow the insane logic of those on the wrong side of this argument.

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years ago

Is this a "how" or "whom" bill?

grimpeur 2 years ago

The Senate will not pass this childish and backward law.

The House, again, has had a chance to throw its little tantrum and show how much it really really hates gays. There, there, children. We won't let those big, bad gays hurt you any more. Now shut your pieholes and get to work.

Also, kinzer is in the urban dictionary!

mom_of_three 2 years ago

Are we reverting back to the 17th century, where only certain religions, such as Anglican or Catholic or Puritan could hold office? where premarital sexual relations was a prosecutorial offense? Are we saying only certain groups of people can live in certain places?

Certainly sounds like colonial America to me. And looked what happened - a revolution.

somedude20 2 years ago

Funny how the Republicans who seem to be the most anti-gay are in fact, homosexual themselves. History has shown this as fact: Foley,Craig,Haggard,Hinson, Ashburn and many many more

I have zero problem with someone who is homosexual but I have a strong hatred of hypocrites. Don't take away other's rights I hope the younger generations are more tolerant but then again, the younger generations work ethic leaves something to be desired

viva_la_revolucion 2 years ago

I wonder if I'll be protected from not renting to Christians due to my Satanic beliefs. I mean if it's good enough for the goose, it's good enough for the gander.

Matthew Herbert 2 years ago

any landlord who takes applications on a house before deciding who to rent to (read this as all landlords) is already practicing de facto discrimination. Right? Isn't running a credit check on a potential tenant and then rejecting them on the basis of previous financial trouble a form of discrimination? Accordingly, it seems like any landlord who would reject someone on the basis of being gay could PROBABLY do that in the status quo anyway they just wouldn't officially announce that as the reason.

autie 2 years ago

“He that troubleth his own house . . . shall inherit the wind.”

Kind of rings true still today. Rev. Brown---back.

autie 2 years ago

This comment was removed by the site staff for violation of the usage agreement.

homosexulity has not been defined in the federal law as a protected class against such discrimination. The law is designed to protect the freedom of religion as practiced and it builds safeguards against abuse.

TinmanKC 2 years ago

This law is going to court.
"No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

If you don't want YOUR private property to be used in a way that doesn't fit your religious beliefs, then don't offer your private property for rent. Once you offer housing for rent, you are required to not discriminate.

This law is about protecting religious freedom and allowing Christians to practice their faith! No one should be forced to see their private property used to promote values or agendas--like the gay agenda--that they do not support and which are an abomination to God. God calls for homosexual people to repent and turn to God and the Bible for salvation as turning from sin in an act of faith.

firebird27 2 years ago

By no means do I wish to justify this bill, but I suspect in narrowly-drawn cases, the proponents may see justification. For example, does a Catholic church have the right to fire an employee who is found to be gay? Whether one agrees with the Catholic position on homosexuality, there is no doubt where the Catholic faith stands on this issue. To have a homosexual in the church's employment would be inconsistent with its belief system. I am not Catholic, but I suspect part of the support for such a bill comes from a circumstance such as my example.

beatrice 2 years ago

Bigotry in the name of religion! Too bad god doesn't actually exist, otherwise he might come down and smite the bigots.

guesswho 2 years ago

Can I start my own religion to discriminate against whoever I want to?

usnsnp 2 years ago

Hope the Senate has more sense, otherwise another Kansas Law in the courts. I guess you have to keep the Lawyers employed.

booyalab 2 years ago

rockchalker52 2 years ago

Not a lot of good news coming out of Topeka these days.

08Champs 2 years ago

What religion preaches that if you're gay (or suspected of being gay) you don't deserve to rent? Sounds like this group is once again giving christianity a bad name. I applaud the Salina representative for going against his party line and being a rational human being. The rest of them make me sick (on a regular basis...) KANSAS: Taking hate to a whole new level.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.