Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On How often do you wear a seat belt?

Comments

verity 1 year, 2 months ago

Probably owe my life to a seatbelt. Car t-boned by somebody running a red light. I had some damage, but walked away. Glasses were smashed on the pavement, which is probably where I would have been. I'm a believer.

Gandalf 1 year, 2 months ago

There has been 2 deaths in my family by auto accidents, both were caused by women drivers. The one accident I was involved in, a woman driver tried to park her car in my lap on K-10 (trying to pass in the rain).

Ban women drivers !

I'm headin fer the bunker now!

costello 1 year, 2 months ago

I started wearing my seat belt after a guy I went to high school with was killed at 10th and Kentucky in an accident he would have walked away from virtually unscathed if he'd had his seat belt on. Come to think of it, this may be the anniversary of his death. I believe it was Super Bowl Sunday, 1984?

He was about 23, married for 5 months, just started law school. He and his wife had just left church and were driving down Kentucky Street when another driver failed to stop at the stop sign at 10th street. The impact just behind his door, caused it to fly open and he was thrown out and killed.

I've never failed to wear a seat belt since, and twice I've had occasion to be grateful for it.

autie 1 year, 2 months ago

There is no fail safe. However, I reckon wearing a belt beats being dead everytime. That said, why do we live in a state where I get a ten dollar ticket for being stupid...but the motorcycle riders can roll helmet free? I'm pretty confident those do-rags ain't stopping anything...

bndairdundat 1 year, 2 months ago

I watched two men burn alive in 1978 because their would be rescuers could not reach through the flames to unfasten them. Their screams didn't last more than a few minutes.

whats_going_on 1 year, 2 months ago

It just feels "off" if I try to drive without it.

vicblthndr 1 year, 2 months ago

IF the sate of Kansas is so set on enforcing the seat belt law, then why did the stupid legislatore repeal the helmet law for motorcycles. Wonder wht happens to a persons head when suddenly stopping and head hits a solid object? Just drop a watermelon ten feet to a payment. SQUISH!!!!!

grammaddy 1 year, 2 months ago

The key doesn't even go into the ignition until everyone"makes it click."

LadyJ 1 year, 2 months ago

I watched the LPD giving out tickets at a local elementary school to parents that did not have their kids in seat belts. The very next day those parents showed up with the kid still without a seat belt.

koman 1 year, 2 months ago

There should be a separate lane for anyone not wearing a seatbelt in a car, or a helmet on motorcycles - then that whole thing Darwin was working on would kick in and, over a few generations, the problem would take care of itself.

My_Life 1 year, 2 months ago

My old pickup didn't come with no seatbelts.

Kat Christian 1 year, 2 months ago

Okay those who DON"T wear their seatbelt - knock that arrogance and ignorance off your shoulder and "Buckle up for Safety". Take it from someone with experience. I was hit from behind and Thank God I had my seatbelt on, because had I NOT my face would have gone into the steering wheel or better yet windshield. Most likly breaking my jaw, nose or other bones in my face or causing brain damage. That seat belt ejected me backward into the seat. Yes I did get whiplash and endured a number of years of therapy with Chiropracters and massage therapist, but I can say today after 26 years I am without severe pain (though I still see a massage therapist on occasion to keep my neck limber). Better than dealing with a scared or deformed face or possible brain damage. All because I WORE MY SEATBELT. My rule whenever anyone gets into my car is I do not start the engine until everyone is buckled up and if someone unbuckles I pull over and stop the car until they rebuckle. "BUCKLE UP FOR SAFETY."

optimist 1 year, 2 months ago

It's never a bad idea to wear your seat belt. I make it a point to wear mine pretty much anytime I am in the car. That said I don't approve of a law requiring adults to wear seat belts. It has no bearing on the safety of others and therefore should not be legislated. Before those of you out there make the silly point that we all pay when someone is injured I make two points: 1. if that is the standard for government to encroach on civil liberties the bar is low and there is nothing government can't do to the individual, and 2. there are some occasions, though rare, that the seatbelt may cause injury or death. The bottom line, government should stay out of our business. It's not like any of us believe those making the laws to be the most ethical or competent people on the planet. Consider that when you ask for another law.

autie 1 year, 2 months ago

I learnt up first hand them goll danged state troopers will give you a goll danged ticket. That boy asked me why I didn't have it on and I said I don't know. Made me feel like a third grader getting caught doing something stupid. But I did get to give Neosho County ten dollars.

Mike Edson 1 year, 2 months ago

Not so much in town unless there is a KU game or the students are getting back from break. Traffic can be crazy and unpredictable during those times.

BABBOY 1 year, 2 months ago

Well the car beeps at you if you do not........

Commenting has been disabled for this item.