Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Do you plan on doing anything to observe Martin Luther King Jr. Day?

Comments

pace 1 year, 3 months ago

I will renew my membership in the NAACP, proud to part of that group.

KiferGhost 1 year, 3 months ago

geoismeo 2 minutes ago So anyone who doesn't recognize his greatness is ignorant? Way to name call.

It is probably hard for people to believe today what a real hero is since we believe sports celebrities are heroes. Yeah, if you can't see the greatness in MLK I'd have to say there is a some ignorance perhaps involved.

Liberty275 21 minutes ago

I started wondering a while back. I've never lived in a city without an MLK Blvd (other than here), and I find it sort of odd that Lawrence, by far the most liberal city I have lived in, has no boulevard named after the great civil rights crusader. Wander over yonder and think about that.

It is a joke to think Lawrence is a liberal city, the town that had segregation and lynched a black man from the river bridge. Lawrence is one of the few cities I know that was important during the Civil War and yet does so much to hide its history and with the ugly history it had it is no wonder.

geoismeo 1 year, 3 months ago

So anyone who doesn't recognize his greatness is ignorant? Way to name call.

Some day I hope American ignorance is overcome and the greatness of this man is respected.

JUSME 1 year, 3 months ago

There will be celebration and singing programs in the local churches and folks at HOME DOING NOTHING in recognition of MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY! Most do not know his accomplishments and some may not even know who he is !!! DON'T BELIEVE IT? ASK AROUND. FOR SOME IT IS JUST A DAY OFF!! DOES ANYBODY HERE KNOW MY OLD FRIEND MARTIN, CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE HE'S GONE? HE FREED A LOT OF PEOPLE BUT THE GOOD THEY DIE YOUNG, I JUST LOOKED AROUND AND HE WAS GONE.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 3 months ago

will recognize Martin Luther King jr's holiday by studying one of his speeches.

we err when we make this a 'black only' holiday; it recognizes the important work of an american hero, who freed both black and white from oppression and hatred. that is, from both sides of it.

would that more people today judged others by the content of their character and not by the color of their skin.

we now have a federal government that is far from racially blind and it is in fact making race relations much worse than they were four years ago.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 3 months ago

^^bhall87 1 hour, 15 minutes ago

Because he was neither a prolific developer nor a mediocre college football coach.

---sad but true. [shakes head]

Liberty275 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm going to wonder why Lawrence doesn't have a Martin Luther King Blvd.

Alceste 1 year, 3 months ago

Alceste understands the populations in several Southern states refer to this Federal Holiday as "Jefferson Davis' Birthday". The times they are changing. Not.

del888 1 year, 3 months ago

Sure, I'll do something. (it's easier than doing nothing). When is MLK, Jr day??

consumer1 1 year, 3 months ago

Doing nothing, is doing something. :o)

Ernest Barteldes 1 year, 3 months ago

Im a teacher, so I am off... Sleeping late.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm going to work, as I do every Monday.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.