Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Do you think the cost of a KU football win will decrease next year?

Comments

RoeDapple 1 year, 12 months ago

A survey where votes can't be made. Makes sense. Not.

rockchalker52 1 year, 12 months ago

Yah, we goin' bowling next season! I hope it's someplace warm.

KiferGhost 1 year, 12 months ago

Who cares, no matter what, sports is a drag on the educational mission of a university. It is a shame universities use to be the place for scholars and now a business that uses sports as a lure to bring those who are a drag on the system to campus.

Money to the school? I assume you mean the slackers who require remedial classes, force the lowering of standards, etc? Yeah, when money is all you care about I guess that is great but when graduates can't point out on a map where we are fighting wars I think the it becomes clear we had better get past money as the only thing that matters in life. As far as the money the athletic department makes, none of it goes to the academic side except for the scholarships for the students.

MarcoPogo 1 year, 12 months ago

"Not my fault you were not able an Ivy League school"

IRONIC POST OF THE DAY!!!

Or we could just get rid of it, privatize sports and get it off campus like the wing nuts want anyway for things that are really important. Then you could get a job using your sports knowledge and not interfer with more important things in life at the university.

Yah, right. Sports ruin everything. No opportunity there for anyone. If only there were systems instead that could provide countless educational scholarships in virtually every facet of higher learning. Oh, wait...

Yeah, sure wouldn't want a country that gives scholarships based on academics so people can attend a university. I have nothing against your sports crap but move it to the private sector where it belongs. Anyone who wants to BS us into thinking the reason they rant and rave about their sports team is based on the quality education the youngster are receiving are full of it.

And of course it does provide opportunity to millionaire coaches and ADs and the TV broadcasters.

The cream rises to the top in any given field & gets compensated according to the free market. And a lot of those fields are staffed with folks skilled through the educational opportunities that sports have created. Benefits us all in many disciplines. I don't see how this qualifies as a detriment to collegiate academics.

What a joke, you are talking about a system that skirts the free enterprise system. Players that get the so called free education but aren't paid while many including corporate America profits handsomely. Again, remove it from the academic setting where supposedly there are some ethics and let the free enterprise system run it. Actually even the pros screw the system as billionaires also profit from the free development of players and sports stadiums. I want you free market people to walk the walk!

Commenting has been disabled for this item.