Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Should the state put more limits on teachers' collective bargaining rights?

Comments

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 4 months ago

No one is against education. Many are against education or any other type if employment that is not performanced based.

Until education is performance based, the very fine and competent teachers will be stuck carrying the malcontents and others that are not good for anyone.

You can whine all you want about unions...but if you look at the unions clearly, the unions are mostly in it for the unions survival, where 9 or 10 in the upper levels of management of the unions spend their time on cruise ships at the expense of those they are put in place to serve.

I never needed a union to keep my job for me. I perform when I am at work, and if I sence management is going a different direction, I change my course also. By making myself valuable to my employer, I have been quite successful over the years. I choose not to take the easy path, do what I have to do to attain tenure, then coast. All most of us want is value for our tax dollars. Most of the time, we are not getting it...thus the reason I demand change, which would be a performanced based education system.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 4 months ago

Right To Work State = lower wages and zero benefits.

How many Brownback lovers want this in their life?

Fire the Sam Brownback administration because Kansas cannot afford wreckanomics aka supply side economics.

verity 1 year, 4 months ago

I observed 58 second graders on a field trip to a museum today. I decided that all teachers should immediately have their salaries doubled.

If any teachers are reading this, even though I have no children, I appreciate more than I can say what you do, the sacrifices you make and the part you play in helping our children grow up to become good and productive citizens. (And, yes, they are all OUR children and our future.)

Antonym 1 year, 4 months ago

Speaking of angry old coots............... they seem to spend an exhorbonate amount of time posting their extremely one-sided blind-eye viewpoints. They must not have jobs or lives.

Paul R Getto 1 year, 4 months ago

Leave the law alone. It is toothless anyway and the board, in the end, can do just about what they want if there isn't enough money. At least the law requires both sides to talk about the issues and try to make a suitable contract.

Agnostick 1 year, 4 months ago

Explanation of the Pseudoconservative Education Philosophy:

If your child is a troublemaker, poor student, reads poorly, scores low on tests, etc.: "It's those teachers! The teachers!! The teacher UNIONS!! They're ruining EVERYTHING for our otherwise-perfect child!"

If your child is an honor student, straight-A grades, reads college-level material in 6th grade, perfect test scores, etc.: "Teachers!?! The teachers had nothing to do with it! The kid just went there for babysitting. I/We taught our own kids EVERYTHING!"

If your child is home-schooled: [Same as above. If the child is only average, academically, blame the government; if the child is above-average, you researched and wrote all your own textbooks, ground up your own rocks to produce your own topsoil to grow your own trees, to harvest your own wood to make your own desks and pencils and wood pulp to produce and publish all the textbooks that you wrote for your child, etc.]

If your child is an average or poor student, reads poorly, scores low on tests, etc... but is REALLY GOOD on the football field or basketball court: "WAY TO GO, COACH!"

LegendaryBeast 1 year, 4 months ago

Educators are some of our most IMPORTANT people! We should not limit their bargaining rights any further and we need to pay them FAR more than we are. After all, they are responsible for educating and protecting our children for a fairly sizable portion of the day. Our governor is trying to stop paying teachers and trying to take away any recourse the teachers have for contract negotiation/feedback. The leaders of Brownbackistan want to destroy the eduction system so that only the church has a say in a child's upbringing outside of the parents. If the teachers living in Brownbackistan suffer, then the children of Brownbackistan suffer and ultimately all the citizens of Brownbackistan suffer! Emperor Brownback, please stop destroying our free, education-hungry, culture & art loving civilization!

autie 1 year, 4 months ago

I would concur with KL. I get pretty tired of some of these crybabies that don't think they are part of the social contract. As though the live on an island within our communities. I find attitudes shift depending on..if you have kids in these schools, or you have grandkids in these schools....or if you are just some selfish, angry old coot who's mommy didn't love them enough.

donttreadonme 1 year, 4 months ago

I think there is a concerted effort to demonize public servants and drive down their wages. Then when most of the good workers are driven out in search of better paying jobs, they haters will then make the case to privatize their functions.

So, haters, what's the bottom line for a teacher? What is the lowest pay you think they are worth?

How about firefighters? Do you want to pay them minimum wage? Do you expect good policing from a cop making the minimum?

People like KS, toe, and cant_have are just selfish whiners who don't want to be part of civilized society.

JW1945 1 year, 4 months ago

People have forgotten a long time ago that unions gave us the 40 hour work week, overtime pay, Health Insurance, & Retirement pensions .........people literally died to get these benefits. Does anyone really think that businesses gave these benefits to their employees just because they were "nice guys?" Think about it.

Karl_Hungus 1 year, 4 months ago

How can the State of K take away time from eradicating "voter fraud" and giving more money to the rich for stuff like this?

tomatogrower 1 year, 4 months ago

How do you suggest teachers are protected from and angry parent, especially one on the school board, who wants to fire the teacher, because he/she gave their deadbeat kid an f? And don't give me your fantasy world where that would never happen.

windex 1 year, 4 months ago

Yeah, those teacher union bosses in their snowflake sweaters, cleaning their own classrooms, scrambling to provide coats for cold kids, food for hungry kids, extra help for kids who entered kindergarten already 2 years behind - they're the problem, all right.

What I mean is SB 59. It is liable to be cloned and reintroduced in the coming January session.
http://www.kslegislature.org/li/b2011_12/measures/documents/sb59_03_0000.pdf

What this will do in essence, is jack up property taxes. In Coffeyville, it is estimated taking the refinery and fertilizer plant out of the county equation, it will reduce the valuation enough that the taxing entities will be forced to raise the property tax by as much as 50% to meet current budget demands....pretty tough row to hoe for USD 445 and the community college down there.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 4 months ago

Do you as parents or your children have a union representing you and your interests? Any way to fight back against all the drivel, and the such you are being blessed with? Any say in how or what is taught to your children?

Think about this next time you have to jump thru your butt to find someone to watch your children while you go to work to give your hard earned cash to members of a gang that only has their best interests at heart and not yours.

Since the NEA has been in control, we find that kids learn better if school starts AFTER you have to be at work. Teachers need Wed afternoons to grade papers while your children are running the streets, or you are paying for daycare. There are some more I am sure.

At any rate, if you have children, you are being held hostage to the desires of the union, which acts in a renegade manner and is only interested in the unions survival. Most unions do not care about those they represent until they need their money. Until education becomes performance based, it has no chance of getting better.

SouthWestKs 1 year, 4 months ago

You need to check out those "democratic venture capitalists" for the Hostess plant.. I think they were the ones that pulled the plug..

How many members does KNEA have right now? Because thats about how many we can count on voting for the other guy in 2014. Along with the rest of the populace Sam has alienated or shut out....then just wait and see if the legislature does something with the bill that would change classification of certain personal property...whooaaa boy. I'm thinking Sam really doesn't want a second term.

jonas_opines 1 year, 4 months ago

Why worry about facts when you have faith? Faith conquers all.

donttreadonme 1 year, 4 months ago

KS23 minutes ago ... Just ask those folks at the Twinkie plant that were led down the primrose path."

Too bad it was actually the venture capitalists who pulled out all the "shareholder value", err cash, and gave large executiive bonuses that caused Hostess' problems. The union members, who made the Twinkies, struck because they were tired of paying for the mistakes of management.

At least you didn't let facts get in the way of your rant.

KS 1 year, 4 months ago

Before I even opened this link, I knew what the answer would be coming from our Lawerence readers. There should be NO unions in the public sector. These jobs are of civil servant nature. If you don't like your job, quit and go someplace else. The problem with unions here is that the mob bosses are the ones that get all the money and they don't care about their members. Just ask those folks at the Twinkie plant that were led down the primrose path.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.