Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Do you put out a bird feeder or try to feed the birds in the winter?

Comments

Kirk Larson 2 years ago

I put out a feeder to give my cats something to watch out the window.

LogicMan 2 years ago

Water might be in great need these days.

John Kyle 2 years ago

Definitely. I had a cardinal taking a bath in my dogs little water dish a few weeks ago.

grammaddy 2 years ago

No bird feeder, but all stale bread and leftover popcorn gets scattered across the back yard for our outdoor friends.

Ken Lassman 2 years ago

The birds at my feeder are voracious these days. Doesn't seem like there's much out there to eat.

Taking turns--at least sometimes

Taking turns--at least sometimes by Ken Lassman

geekin_topekan 2 years ago

No but its always fun to sprinkle dog food around the neighbors yard at night.

3up3down 2 years ago

I don't have enough tuppence to feed the birds. Besides, if you feed the birds, all you will have is fat birds. ---- Mary Poppins

Liberty275 2 years ago

I thought the birds went south for the winter. We were going to in the spring, but if there are still birds around we might do it earlier.

Ken Lassman 2 years ago

Some stick around all winter, forming winter flocks of mixed species who look for food together, which makes a winter bird feeder so interesting. Others you see at the bird feeders now HAVE flown south, i.e. they've come from points north and are overwintering around here in milder climes than those where they spend their summers.

Tomato 2 years ago

They definitely hang out all year. Here are some outside the window during a snowstorm here in Lawrence.

George_Braziller 2 years ago

I used to put out a bird feeder during the winter but the squirrels would either eat all the seed in a few hours or destroy the feeder to get to it. Now I just scatter seed on the ground.

Kirk Larson 2 years ago

The right feeder in the right place can get around that. Mine hangs under an eave they can't easily reach and has openings that close when too much weight is on the feeder. They're not a problem now and when I fill the feeder I put out a little for the squirrels in sympathy.

George_Braziller 2 years ago

I've tried various feeders in different locations. They always figure out a way to get to the seed. They're crafty little bastards. I've seen them hang upside down to get past the ones that close with too much weight.

Had one on a shepherd's hook in an open area and they still got to the feeder so I greased the pole with some vaseline. It worked but I had to keep doing it because they would keep trying to climb it and would wear it off. However it was extremely entertaining watching them try to climb it when it was freshly greased. They'd get up a couple of feet and then just slide down.

Clara Westphal 2 years ago

Cardinals, chick-a-dees, and sparrows do not migrate. We had several Cardinals at our birdfeeder all winter long.

It is expensive to keep a bird feeder full . I don't have a pet so the birds are my fun watch.

Squirrels are a definite problem.

rockchalker52 2 years ago

The crows flat out steal all of the suet cakes right out of our feeders.

roadwarrior 2 years ago

water is crucial right now. I have a much higher population due to providing water than I normally would. having several water sources of differnt depths has been important to them. So far there is plenty of food.

fancy80 2 years ago

We have bird feeders and I put food out for squirrels and bunnies. I think we have a raccoon that is helping himself to our dog food. I also throw out old bread and apples. I try to keep water out too.

RoeDapple 2 years ago

Mostly for the chickens. We need the eggs.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.