Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Would you pay $5 a month for curbside recycling?

Comments

RoeDapple 1 year, 11 months ago

My burn barrel is nowhere near the curb.

Clara Westphal 1 year, 11 months ago

I take my paper, magazines, glass, and cans to the recylce bins at HyVee on 6th street bins. If they had a bin for plastics, it would be complete. Why should anyone pay $5.00 for something they can do on their own?

Joe Berns 1 year, 11 months ago

Why should anyone pay for recyling period? If you want my consumables that can be recycled, either come pick them up for free, or pay me for the inconvenience of putting the stuff at the curb. Doesn't make sense to me why we pay a company to come pick up our stuff that then profits on the items we are paying them to take..

FlintHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

I already pay about $5/month to Deffenbaugh. One big bin, everything but glass, unsorted. Keeps us from "upsizing" to the largest City of Lawrence trash bin. And I don't have to "prompt" them to pick it up at the curb. Keeps peace, relatively, in the family. Five dollars well spent, imho.

George Lippencott 1 year, 11 months ago

Over 50% say no??? When the question is saving the planet the numbers are different. Could we have alot of people who want other people to do the dirty work?? Five bucks is just not that big of a deal - one beer.

rockchalker52 1 year, 11 months ago

At some point I might, not much more cuz Mr. Wally World is just up the road & it's pretty easy to take the stuff to him.

dwendel 1 year, 11 months ago

Absolutely! Most cities on the coasts have had co-mingled curbisde recycling since the late 80's or early 90s. 25-30 years behind the rest of the country is right on schedule for Kansas, so the time is about right. $5 to save the gas and time and hassle of hauling to Walmart is well worth it. I use D-baugh now, but would rather keep those $'s in town. Hopefully we'd take glass too.

Marcus DeMond 1 year, 11 months ago

A good beer is often $4. Most people tip as well.

webmocker 1 year, 11 months ago

It might be "free" in cities where landfill fees are significantly higher than here, and thus enough is saved by reducing trash to cover the costs of managing the recycling. However, that is not the case here.

If time is valued at zero dollars and the costs of driving to MallWart are ignored, then sure, it's "free."

Richard Heckler 1 year, 11 months ago

I prefer our curb side recycling service as it is...

Sunflower Curbside Recycling (785) 550-8610

Marcus DeMond 1 year, 11 months ago

Do they offer weekly pickup with no sorting required?

KiferGhost 1 year, 11 months ago

My God, is it going to cut into your tv time to sort your stuff? If Americans only stopped to see what the rest of the world has to do to survive perhaps this type of whining would go away. Have some balls man.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 11 months ago

Why put locals out of work? How smart is that? City Hall has been talking with Brownback.

Why send more local dollars to other cities?

KiferGhost 1 year, 11 months ago

Pay more than that now and know my money is helping the Lawrence community. Paying 1 cent to a huge corporation is way more than I'll pay though.

SouthWestKs 1 year, 11 months ago

We have to pay the city for trash service.. I let them haul it all to the landfill.. 1 bag a week.. Works for us.. Stay warm..

Katara 1 year, 11 months ago

Nope. I take it to the school. They get money for the recyclables.

George_Braziller 1 year, 11 months ago

I take all of my aluminum and steel cans to the recycling center for cash of my own. I just crush and store them in bags in the garage and haul when I have a big load. Re-use most of my plastic containers and don't have much paper waste, Doesn't leave much except one 13 gallon bag of miscellaneous stuff every other week.

Water 1 year, 11 months ago

George, How much does the recycling center pay per pound for aluminum? Steel? What is the name of the recycling center?

George_Braziller 1 year, 11 months ago

I take it to Lonnie's in North Lawrence. The price changes depending on the market. Last time I went they were paying $.46/pound for aluminum.

classclown 1 year, 11 months ago

webmocker December 11, 2012 at 2:09 p.m

If time is valued at zero dollars and the costs of driving to MallWart are ignored, then sure, it's "free."

=============================================

The fallacy of your statement is the fact that you make the assumption that people are making the trip to Walmart for the sole purpose of bringing in their recyclables. When it is more likely that they are doing it while conducting business in the area such as shopping at Walmart or one of the other stores. Or perhaps dining near there.

So yes, that would indeed make it free.

I think the underlying issue here is that not only are you willing to pay $5 for curbside pickup, but also want to impose this "privilege" on others so that you can do it with the least effort possible.

classclown 16 hours, 8 minutes ago "I think the underlying issue here is that not only are you willing to pay $5 for curbside pickup, but also want to impose this "privilege" on others so that you can do it with the least effort possible."

The fallacy of your statement is that I am not in favor of imposing curbside pickup on others. In addition, loading the car and unloading it at WalMart takes time that some people value. Also, while some people do plan ahead and do their recycling as part of another trip to the area, not all do.

Abdu Omar 1 year, 11 months ago

Why should it cost anything at all? If they sell the items that are being recycled, that should be a money making project and FREE to those who provide the recyclables! NO?

jafs 1 year, 11 months ago

Sure.

But I'd hope that the system is set up to take as much as possible, including a number of different plastics. Right now, Wal-Mart takes some, and Deffenbaugh takes others.

I don't mind sorting and taking stuff to Wal-Mart periodically, but I'd be glad to pay $5/month for a more convenient option.

Oh, and I'd also hope that it's set up so that the environmental costs of running heavy, fuel inefficient trash trucks around town doesn't cut too much into the environmental benefits of recycling.

Liberty275 1 year, 11 months ago

Pay me $25/mo and I'll separate out the recyclable stuff and put it in a different bin.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 11 months ago

mandating any recycling is fascism, adding to our bills when we already have too little money, and demanding more of our time.

"saving the planet?" give me a break. you have been filled with environmentalfascism propaganda. our water and air are far cleaner than they have been in decades! .
we pay too much for gas, not because of the hated oil companies but because of government taxes, and the artificial shortages caused by the stupid boutique blends forced to micromanage the environment which have largely outlived their usefulness.

greenie wheenies are really about their own moral supperiority, and their own fake zealotism.

maybe we actualave better things to do than to sort through five different kinds of plastics we're throwing away, eh?

note, in my home we do recycle aluminum as a means to donate to a worthy charity. the recycling of the aluminum cans is simple, doesn't require sorting or cleaning or packing in the process.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.