Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On If marijuana were legal would you smoke it?

Comments

hitme 1 year, 4 months ago

We don't get Cancer from what we do today; we get Cancer from what we did 20 years ago.

phoggyjay 1 year, 4 months ago

Yes I do smoke cannabis and I've never had to go see a doctor for health reasons over the past two decades. Cancer free since 1993.

Trumbull 1 year, 4 months ago

I would not touch the stuff. The inhaled tars are much more "sticky" and harmful to your lungs than even cigarettes. I also have seen what it does to people who smoke it on a daily basis. Slow and stupid......all the while they think they are genius.

Having said that, I think it should be legalized. If it is your cup of tea, go for it. Much less harmful than alcohol. Alcohol destroys lives and is a huge societal cost.....and is legal. Pot is neither of those and is illegal. This does not make sense. Use it for paper and other industrial uses to. Save a few trees.

kernal 1 year, 4 months ago

It's said that cigarettes are more addictive than cocaine and they're still legal. Plus, with all the carcinogens added, they're freakin' lethal over time.

tomatogrower 1 year, 4 months ago

I voted no, but then I thought if I had cancer and it would help me deal with chemo, then yes.

verity 1 year, 4 months ago

I have my memories . . . . I doubt any current reality could live up to those.

Will the quality be regulated if it is legalized? Will there be marijuana stores? Marijuana Anonymous societies? So many things to think about.

There are neighborhoods in Lawrence where one can get high just walking around in the evening. Is second-hand marijuana smoke bad for you?

Cait McKnelly 1 year, 4 months ago

How to tell the difference between a drunk and a stoner.
A drunk will run a stop sign.
A stoner will sit there and wait for it to turn green.

I would most definitely use it but not for recreational purposes. I have severe neuropathy with, at times, excruciating nerve pain. I already take oxycodone and attend a pain management clinic. If the MJ helps with it, there is a huge difference between it and what I currently take, Oxycodone is physically addictive. MJ is not.

grammaddy 1 year, 4 months ago

This comment was removed by the site staff for violation of the usage agreement.

blue73harley 1 year, 4 months ago

I would smoke it but I wouldn't inhale. Honest.

JUSME 1 year, 4 months ago

The worst side effects of MJ is THE munchies, medications that attempet to cure one ailment often causes blindness, loose stool, dizziness, nausea, suicidal thoughts and vomiting. I am sorry I will just take the disease I have and a GOOD JOINT and a BIG BAG or CHEETOS and OREOS!!

pace 1 year, 4 months ago

Some employers require non smoking. of cigarettes, on or off the job.

msezdsit 1 year, 4 months ago

Alcohol is legal with strict guidelines. Legalizing pot wouldn't mean everyone can just get high all the time and do whatever they want. For example, driving a car would require being under a legal limit of thc in your blood.

A bigger picture in legalization would be the effect it has on the government's so called "war on drugs", which is really a war on minorities and the governments way of circumventing the civil rights laws that have evolved over the years. All you have to do is look at the majority of the people who have had their civil rights violated in the name of the "war on drugs" fallacy.

blindrabbit 1 year, 4 months ago

Brownback wants you to pray this weekend and quit talking about the sin of pot smoking.

catfishturkeyhunter 1 year, 4 months ago

I have mixed feelings about this. In one hand I am for legalization. However, as a former toker, I will admit that I would have never tried drugs like LSD, Extacy, Coke, and Meth, if pot wasn't so harmless. I would be lying if I said pot didn't give me a false sense that all drugs were harmless like pot was supposed to be and probably is. With that said, I quit all that junk 12 years ago and did it cold turkey with out treatment or any help from friends or family. I will also say that anyone who says weed isn't addictive, is telling a bold faced lie. If your scraping the tray and smokin resin cause you can't find any bud, your most likely addicted. I dont have any beef with people who do that kind of thing, but its not for me. My time doing drugs was fun as hell, but I wasted alot of time and money getting wrapped up in that sorta thing. I am older now and I want to feel good and remember things. I don't want to feel like I just got done going 12 rounds with Mike Tyson.

eotw33 1 year, 4 months ago

Everyone I know that smokes does it before work. They have never been fired, never been tested, and excell at their jobs. And no, I'm not talking about the 17 year old making your taco, I'm talking about grown people with families and real jobs. Some who even own their own company. Reefer madness isn't a scientific documentary, it was made by the government to brainwash you and apparently worked. Also, the effects of thc wear off after hours, the fact that remains in the system does not mean your still high, by that logic, you could smoke a joint and be high for 30+ days, not how it works, wish it was, but its not

James Minor 1 year, 4 months ago

Pot should be legal only to retired people or people with a medical condition approved by a doctor, who can't drive anymore,and use the T-Bus for transportation. Legalizing for this group limits the possibility of someone driving a car that is high and/or drunk.It also gives an incentive to the younger crowd for when they retire.

CHKNLTL 1 year, 4 months ago

Um, since when did people wait for things to be legal? I mean, during prohibition, there was lots of booze to go around, and the laws changed to keep up with the times. Legalize it or don't, we're already a nation living in High Times.

Machiavelli_mania 1 year, 4 months ago

In my old age, I want to sit on my porch in W. Kansas, take walks on country roads, chew the wheat grass, listen to the wind in the wheat, breathe deeply to smell freshly turned soil (now laced with the smell of oil well$), read science magazines, converse with my spouse, and smoke pot. Until the day I die. And I swear, I will NEVER ever go into a nursing home, for they are like prisons!! And the legal drugs they hand out kill, and are far more unhealthful than pot. In my advanced directives, I am going to make sure there is a mandate in these to never ever enter a nursing home. I don't have to live to be a 100 years old. But it may happen just to spite me.

I site that anti-psychotics are killing the elderly, as research is indicating. Just give the elderly pot instead.

clovis_sangrail 1 year, 4 months ago

For peace of mind in your drug tests, make your drug of choice hydrocodone. It passes out of the system quickly and often isn't tested for at all. (I think the synthetic opiates require a separate test.)

I had to take a drug test when I was on a steady diet of vicodin (for legitimate medical reasons, I assure you) and I passed with no trouble. I told the folks at the drug testing center I had a script for the stuff and they said they didn't care. They just do the test, and report the results to the employer. But the test guy did say it probably would not even show up.

classclown 1 year, 4 months ago

I think this poll is stupid. Most likely this poll is a reflection of those that answered and whether or not they partake of the marijuana currently.

I don't smoke it and making it legal will not make me want to smoke it. It's just not my thing. And I seriously doubt there is anyone out there thinking "Golly. I would just love to smoke weed, but gosh darn it, it's illegal."

Of course this being Kansas, if pot was legalized here, it would probably be like beer. 3.2 weed.

BABBOY 1 year, 4 months ago

It is pretty simple to me. Not any worse than booze. In fact, Pot is clearly not as bad as booze because drunks do stupid crap and stoners mostly sleep.

But, to me, the tax dollars combined with the reduction in spending from making it legal justify making it legal. Insane amount of tax dollars can be generated from taxing its sale. Insane number of courts costs, costs, and enforcement costs can be saved.

I think alcohol is the worse of any of the drugs. For you idiots, I am talking about the stupid drunks that get blind stinking drunk where they drive their car home regularly and do not remember doing it. That is worse than any drug and you idiots just need to wake up to that reality.

Thus, if alcohol is legal, legalize the rest of it, tax the crap out of it, and save money from meaningless enforcement that has never stopped its use.

Then, spend the money on schools and educate people and this stuff is not an issue anymore.

Me, I have not done drugs in more than 25 years and doubt I will regardless but with the tax and saving implications on something they can’t control are just blindly obvious that it needs to be legal where it can be taxed and better regulated.

Clara Westphal 1 year, 4 months ago

My doctor told me that there are medications that are more helpful for arthritis than marijuana. Not being a smoker of anything, I wouldn't smoke it any way. I have seen the effects on people who do.

g_rock 1 year, 4 months ago

It would cut into the relationship that I have with Makers Mark...

geekin_topekan 1 year, 4 months ago

Legalization could not make the hard working population turn into bums any more than it could make bums become hard workers.

rockchalker52 1 year, 4 months ago

Yah, that hazy smoke wafting over my computer screen, izzat what you call an icloud? Would have to clear it with mom first. It's still her basement.

grammaddy 1 year, 4 months ago

Why wait. It works wonders on arthritis pain.

deec 1 year, 4 months ago

I imagine if pot were legal, both at the state and federal level, then drug testing for its use would become a thing of the past. As it stands now, companies that drug test are free to hire hard core drunks as employees if they so choose. Alcohol use and abuse is accepted by society. Without the taint of illegality, there's no reason to think marijuana would be any different.

Larry Sturm 1 year, 4 months ago

What about people appling for jobs and have to take drug tests.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.