Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Do you do anything to help the less fortunate during the holiday season?

Comments

colicole81 1 year, 11 months ago

As usual, a horrible poll. I donate money and time year round to many different organizations!

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 11 months ago

People in need are not a seasonal thing. If I know someone in a jam, I will always help if I can, and I am also sure that I'm not being taken advantage of.

I have a problem in that I have been taken advantage of in a bigtime way by a couple people in the relatively recent past. So, I need to stop and think, and decide if I can really afford to help someone financially.

One signal that you might be being taken advantage of is that when, after helping someone with one major money problem issue, they immediately think of another. And, I refuse to help anyone that is not at putting forth at least a little bit of effort into solving their own problems. I cannot solve people's problems for them, they need to do some work on that themselves.

I have so many problems of my own that I need to be careful to not take on too many others as well. But, if it's a problem that can be worked on by talking about it, I'm always going to be there for someone, and I think everyone should never be too busy to listen to someone else's problems.

labmonkey 1 year, 11 months ago

I give to the Salvation Army all year around, and usually buy a couple bags of groceries for the Harvester's bucket around Christmas.

Jeremiah Jefferson 1 year, 11 months ago

Where is the option for "I can barely take care of myself"?

Commenting has been disabled for this item.