Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Have you ever been in an accident involving a deer?

Comments

3up3down 2 years, 2 months ago

A few years back, wife got her suv out of the body shop after getting it repaired from a hit and run in Dillons parking lot. Picked it up at 3:30 in the afternoon, went to dinner at 6, was heading back to the house when a deer ran out of the ditch and ran into the side that was just repaired. Stupid animals. Beautiful, but stupid!!

gphawk89 2 years, 2 months ago

Five times that I can remember. It's one of the perks of growing up in western KS.

Beth Bird 2 years, 2 months ago

How about 5 times? Stupid deer love my vehicles....

rockchalker52 2 years, 2 months ago

Yah, I hit one in an F150 like it was a red headed stepchild. It was right after dawn on the first full day of DST. $7K worth of damage to the truck & what I thought was fatal damage to the deer, but after about 20 minutes, it stood up & hobbled off into a field & disappeared. Poor thing had a shattered leg & was sure to be some coyote's supper really soon.

Another time, one came darting out of a field just east of DeSoto & managed to run into my westbound car on K-10. It clipped my right rear quarter panel & as I looked backed, it was tumbling through the air. I didn't know deer could do cartwheels.

(No offense was intended during the creation of this post to any red heads or step-children.)

Ken Lassman 2 years, 2 months ago

A deerskin codpiece might protect those twins next time

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 2 months ago

I was pheasant hunting few years ago in Western Kansas, and all of a sudden a doe came straight at me in some tall grass she turned away about 3 feet in front of me-------near miss

gphawk89 2 years, 2 months ago

Near identical experience for me, except in my case the deer actually ran into me. I was walking along a tree line and heard something in the brush. Moved some tall weeds out of the way and the deer was RIGHT there - arm's length away. He jumped right into me and ran off.

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

I've hit them right under the tree-stand, I've hit them at over 300 yards and I've hit them at all distances in between. I've never missed. But it was never an accident.

oldbaldguy 2 years, 2 months ago

a long time ago a soldier who was in my company would deliberately run over deer with his car and take it for food. he was never caught by fish and game. it was rough on his vehicle.

Jeremiah Jefferson 2 years, 2 months ago

Stupid deer? People should really educate themselves better than that. Deer are some of the smartest animals out there. If half of you would spend time out side of your cubicals and learn a little bit about wild life you would know that. You can't fault the deer for having its habitat overun by humans. Shame on you people who want your house and 10 acres in the country and think the deer are cute, then turn around and want to slash their throats and kill em all the minute you hit one with your car. What ever happened to paying attention to what your doing when driving? Deer are not the problem. People and urban sprawl are the problem.

riverdrifter 2 years, 2 months ago

Are you sure you didn't run over a rock?!

bad_dog 2 years, 2 months ago

I used to have a '66 Impala with hoof print dents/scratches in the hood. These wounds were inflicted by a white tail buck using it as a spring board to complete his vault out of harm's way.

I also took one through the windshield at 70 mph. That's exciting but not so good for buckaroo...

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

I hit a St. Bernard on 6th Street 40+ years ago. It ran between 2 cars in the outside lane and was under me before I could react. I swear the Pontiac Firebird was airborne for a while but other than a cracked turn signal lens there was no damage. I went back and dragged the dog carcass to the curb but could not find the owner.

riverdrifter 2 years, 2 months ago

I hit one with a brand new 1989 Camaro Z28. It was upsidedown on the hood for a ways and and then tipped off and ran away. .

Charlie Bannister 2 years, 2 months ago

Believe it or not, I hit three of them at one time with a semi back in 2006. Topped the hill on a two lane road in the wee hours of the morning down by Osage City, Ks and creamed all three at once. They didn't even bother to get out of the way. Tore the hell out of the front of the truck. It had to be towed. Sure glad it wasn't my truck.

James Minor 2 years, 2 months ago

The best deer repellent is a rope, knife and butcher paper in your vehicle. I have never came close to a deer with these items in my vehicle. I guess the deer know what going to happen if they hit the old truck!!!!

Commenting has been disabled for this item.