Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On How often do you volunteer?

Comments

tange 1 year, 6 months ago

I have been known to flourish without deliberately being planted.

countrygirl 1 year, 6 months ago

Every week as a Boy Scout Leader. Got a great bunch of kids to work with so I love it!

consumer1 1 year, 6 months ago

I am not saying volunteering is wrong. Volunteering from the heart cannot and should not be a trophy to hang on your walls. Verity, good for you. I shake the dust off my feet at you. Live your life as you wish, it is your freewill.

sierraclub 1 year, 6 months ago

Very hard for me to volunteer right now. But, when I retire, YES, I will be volunteering as often as possible.

Kat Christian 1 year, 6 months ago

I volunteer everyday for the past two years, since I was laid-off from my job of 5 years (3 years ago) and not having any luck finding work. I'm not one to just sit home so I found that my adminisrative services are of some use and I like keeping busy. So until I find a job or can afford to retire totally I guess this is what I'll do. Besides I know this organization needs me and perhaps someday they'll be able to find the funding to pay me. One can only hope.

verity 1 year, 6 months ago

Since this is anonymous, it is not about getting public recognition.

I am not taking a paying job away from anybody. I doubt very many, if any, volunteers are. The jobs wouldn't get done or the paid people would be working even more (unpaid) overtime.

Not trying to buy my way into heaven, since I don't believe in it.

Now that I have time I will pay back or pay forward. Seems like the price of admission for being human.

If someone's "good works" leads to a paying job, why is that a problem?

Clara Westphal 1 year, 6 months ago

I used to volunteer until I began to realize that I was doing things no one else wanted to do. Many times volunteers take the place of giving someone a paying job.

Topple 1 year, 6 months ago

Here's some tips regarding your faulty poll. You're asking a question but not providing all possible answers.

It's like asking how many times per year do you change your vehicle's oil? A. 2 B. 3 C. 4 D. Never

Example of appropriate answers: A. Never B. At least annually C. At least monthly D. At least weekly

consumer1 1 year, 6 months ago

I cannot tell, if I tell then I would be volunteering for the wrong reasons. One shouldn't volunteer for public recogniton. Or further one's gain. You cannot buy your way to heaven. Good works should be done but never used to further oneself for any reason. Even / especially to boost your ego.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.