Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Do you know anyone who has become a U.S. citizen?

Comments

BABBOY 2 years, 3 months ago

I am going to answer the question the way it was worded.

The answer is yes. Everyone one of us became US citizens at birth (including President Obama).

Thus, so, pretty much everyone I have known became citizens at birth either by being born on US territory or having at least one American parent.....

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Pretty sure the crew that roofed my house haven't yet.

Clara Westphal 2 years, 3 months ago

I have a friend who was born in China .She went through all the requirements to become a naturilized citizen. She is irritated by the illegals who are getting in through the back door.

Topple 2 years, 3 months ago

I have a coworker did the same and feels the same way.

Ceallach 2 years, 3 months ago

"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses, yearning to breath free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore, Send these, the homeless, tempest tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

How many of the people in the article do you think were homeless or tempest tost? Many of the huddling masses of wretched refuse don't have the luxury of waiting to use the front door.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 3 months ago

Wasn't that a gift from France, one that we neither asked for nor wanted when it arrived. I think it sat in boxes until we found a place for it, erected at our own expense. Maybe they were trying to rid themselves of their tired and poor, their huddled masses, etc.

Or maybe it was true at a time when this continent was underpopulated, when we could absorb those huddled masses. Maybe it's time for us to add our own addendum, something that reflects the attitudes of the American people. Something like respect the process as we have set forth, and you will be warmly welcomed.

deec 2 years, 3 months ago

Or we could re-initiate the process by which most of our ancestors arrived. That is, scrape together the money for a boat ticket and land at Ellis Island. if you didn't have a contagious disease, you were sent on your way to make a new life. Becoming a citizen wasn't a requirement.

Or you could sneak in along the coasts or borders. Of course, it was easier to do so in the past.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 3 months ago

Perhaps it would be helpful if you placed a number on how many can come in. A million, ten million, one hundred million? Maybe tie the number allowed in to jobs available, housing availability, empty seats in schools. Or tie it to environmental impact. However we choose to do it, we should make that choice and then that choice should be followed and respected.

gsxr600 2 years, 3 months ago

Some people from Ghana graduated Army basic training with me not long ago. They were granted citizenship because of it. Really great group of soldiers.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.