Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Do you think young people are more or less politically involved these days?

Comments

gbulldog 2 years, 3 months ago

Becomming discourage because of the the lies and half truthes by both parties and the media. Even fact checking websites are not as reliable as people think. You read history, and compare it to current politics and it appears very akin methods dictators of the past. Blame an easy target, so you do not have to take reponsibility for your actions.

pooter 2 years, 3 months ago

Blaming former president Bush is the easy target while the historical facts point way back beyond him to the true presidential culprits behind our current dilemma.

So if you are inclined to place presidential blame, put it where it really belongs, on those who are most directly responsible for our current enslavement; starting with Abraham Lincoln, Woodrow Wilson, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Lyndon Baines Johnson, and all those in between, up to and including the current occupier in thief.

labmonkey 2 years, 3 months ago

I would say, in most cases, the same. Politicians have always lied and used half-truths and relied upon the ignorance of the people. Many of the greatest generation still have a love for FDR, even though his policies may have exasperated the Great Depression, not eased it (most people seem to forget that World War II ultimately got us out and Republicans had overturned most of the New Deal legislation by 1945). Many older people have held blind allegiances to their parties even though they fundamentally changed socially (i.e. watch Zell Miller's 2004 GOP convention speech). The more things change, the more they stay the same.

If you go to the beginnings of this country, it was slow communication and the perceived ignorance of the people that caused the electoral college.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 3 months ago

You need to give them a good reason to become involved. Become involved in a war for no apparent reason, start a draft, then exempt the sons of the rich and politically connected, and you'll see our young adults become involved.

Isn't it time for the student union to undergo a major renovation?

KS 2 years, 3 months ago

I think one of the biggest problems in this country is that we did away with the draft. It should be reinstated. Six weeks of basic training would be a tremendous eye opener for a lot of folks. We all want the benefits of freedom, but only a few are willing to volunteer. That can make us lazy. No doubt I will hear a lot of liberal crap from this liberal community. Enjoy yourselves. I will watch and smile.

skull 2 years, 3 months ago

If you had actually read the article that accompanied the poll, you may have noticed that young people DO volunteer more than in previous generations. Also, reinstating the draft would make volunteerism (as you mean it) a little obsolete, don't you think. Besides, invading Iraq had nothing to do with protecting our "freedom." Just a little liberal crap (facts).

deec 2 years, 3 months ago

I think a lot of young voters were energized in 2008 and voted. Many of those voters are disillusioned now. I'd expect much lower turnout this year because they are so disappointed in Obama and don't see Romney as a viable alternative. They may vote for more third party candidates, but overall the numbers will likely be way down.

Young people were involved politically in the Occupy movement, which was harshly repressed. The government doesn't want engaged youth, because they are not likely to support the status quo. With a trillion dollars in outstanding student loan debt, youth will increasingly opt out of a political and economic system that offers them no hope and no future.

irvan moore 2 years, 3 months ago

it was better when the parties held true to their roots, the democrats were the working mans party and the republicans were the rich guy party, none of this liberal and conservative crap

Richard Heckler 2 years, 3 months ago

Are you better off now, than you were 4 years ago??

Reagan asked that question,got elected and by the time he and GHW Bush were finished millions upon millions were out of jobs and many had to come out of retirement because the Savings and Loan scam put their retirement money up in smoke. A lot of people lost their homes about this time. People in their 60's and older don't get hired easily.

GW Bush and Cheney pulled off a repeat performance. ......

And republicans have the gall to put forth this question again? Excuse me....

KS 2 years, 3 months ago

merrill - please put the pipe down. Excuse me!!!!!

Jonathan Fox 2 years, 3 months ago

I'd say over all, less. But new ways to get involved using the internet are a big help. And young people still use traditional ways of being heard such as the 300,000, mostly students, who marched at the Capitol in DC this year.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.