Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Has your garden survived the summer?

Comments

gphawk89 1 year, 8 months ago

This has been by far the best year ever for our veggie garden. We decided to build some organic raised garden beds this year. I built a custom drip system that kept them plenty moist on about 15 gallons a day. Stupid deer ate the potato plants and one pepper plant but thankfully left everything else alone. Great weather for tomatoes if you keep the soil moist.

consumer1 1 year, 8 months ago

Every time I put sea monkeys in my koi pond the fish gobble them up????

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 8 months ago

To those who have more garden produce than they know what to do with, I suggest giving some to Vermont Towers and Babcock Place. Those who live there will truly appreciate it.

Rocks develop very slowly and they are very susceptible to variations in temperature contracting an expanding with the cold and the heat. In about a thousand years you should be able to see changes.

My_Life 1 year, 8 months ago

OMG. Have gotten more huge perfect slicer tomatoes and honkin' romas than we have in many years. Pick anywhere from 20 to 40 a day and they are still going strong. Peppers are thrivin'. Been cannin' and makin' salsa. Can't give them away fast enough. The squash is going crazy too. It's spread all over the garden. The acorn and butternut are big and solid. Zucs and yellow are a bi-daily pick. Second crop of green beans is lookin' good. Cabbage is putin' out little ones. The devils vegetables are big and tall and takin' shape nicely. Sweet potatoe vines have choked out anything near them and keep cutting them back. Okra loves the heat. Gonna plant some carrots, beets, and turnips next week. The 'drip' is magical.

On a more sad note, Indyans rock garden is just sorta layin' there, not growing. Must of been some bad seeds.

CWGOKU 1 year, 8 months ago

Our flower bed has survived and a couple of sunflowers, and I hate to think how many gallons a day we poured on them. But basically, everything has died. After a hot Summer a few years ago I introduced Bermuda grass to our lawn and it is thriving.

M. Lindeman 1 year, 8 months ago

They are starting to slow down, but still got a ton of tomatoes off them.

RoeDapple 1 year, 8 months ago

it's done. a few straggler tomatoes on the vines the deer left me.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.