Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Asphalt Orchestra downtown performance

Comments

hedshrinker 1 year, 3 months ago

ok, this was perhaps entertaining if you were shopping, downtown drinking or having dinner, but I have a medical practice downtown...my 5:30 clients drive 1 and a half hours each way to see me and hire a babysitter for several hours: typically I keep careful watch on the downtown potentially noisy events possibilities (parades, etc) but flash mobs by their nature are unpredictable, so this event was an unwelcome disruption of our meeting. I hate to be a buzzkill, but it does distress me that our downtown is becoming soley an entertainment district after 5 pm filled with loud drunks, etc. Jeez, people have some consideration for others. This was the loudest, most cocaphonous event yet in decades of downtown officing.

4chewnut 1 year, 3 months ago

Gee, downtown Lawrence should be vibrant and alive! Maybe you should move your office to some quiet shopping center where your clients won't be so bothered. KUDOs to those who arranged this.

First of all, I find your tone of "love it or leave it; if you don't like it, get the heck out" condescending, polarizing and offensive.I am totally in favor of" vibrant and alive". I had an office in one of your recommended "quiet shopping centers" for a short period of time and found it totally beige, bland and uninspired. This like everything else is not an either/or proposition. Vibrant and alive doesn't have to mean it interferes with others trying to function. When I know ahead of time about noisy events and potential traffic congestion, I plan my work around that. This event was shockingly loud and disruptive; I'm sure I might have appreciated the spontaneity and enthusiasm more if I wasn't trying to work.

great to know YOUR name as well, JANE DOE. There is a great deal more going on in downtown than entertainment...bars and restaurants (that typically are the venue for live entertainment) are but one part of our interesting, multi-faceted downtown and we struggle to encompass all our diversity of products and services. This issue has been the subject of much lively debate over the years by people who support a vital downtown; we all need to be free to do our work, while simultaneously respecting others' rights...I'm happy that our downtown is a regional destination for all kind of events; I just like to know ahead of time when things are happening that are going to impinge on me with traffic gridlock and noise so I can schedule around that. That kind of mutual consideration is what I think makes for TRULY good business practice.

@ jane doe, I see in yr comments on other threads what your value system is ..."drinking up and down Massachusetts St".might explain why you might not understand the concerns of people who work in downtown Lawrence in other types of businesses that don't cater to rowdy alcohol drinkers. Your profile statement says your communication specialty is "Snark"....again, explains a lot about your nasty response to my post. Threatening my livlihood by stating you want to slander me and my business about which you know nothing is really creepy.

1 year, 3 months ago

Hedshrinker- This event had nothing to do with 'loud drunks.' This is music, something very natural for human-beings. Why would you hate against music?

Definitely NOT "hating against music"...your black or white characterization is unfair. I have in fact been a longtime supporter of the arts in all forms and frequently contributed to other street musicians who played regularly downtown (jazz saxophonist in particular) as they contributed nice accompaniment to everybody downtown, but didn't interfere with traffic flow and their decibel level wasn't offensive.

Lawrence Morgan 1 year, 3 months ago

Great photographs, Nick!

With all due respect to hedshrinker, downtown must be vibrant and entertaining.

I completely agree and I love being a part of it and support that; I have officed downtown for decades; I am simply suggesting in a highly concentrated area with literally hundreds of different kinds of businesses and MANY people, spontaneity has far-reaching and complicated consequences....that is why where lots of people are, civil society mandates respectful consideration for the needs of all involved. "vibrant and entertaining" shouldn't be so intrusive on others that it interferes with their ability to carry on.

Dixie Jones 1 year, 3 months ago

honestly people Headshinker just gave their opinion, calm down. , stop attacking anyone who post a opinion that is not in your favor.

@peachesncream, thanks for yr support, I think?! BTW, I actually liked the music, it's just about location, timing and respect.

Greg DiVilbiss 1 year, 3 months ago

I am not really sure how you can have it both ways..."Vibrant and Alive", but only when I want it that way. I can appreciate the disruption to a particular business but that is the price to be paid for being located in the entertainment and business district.

Kind of like complaining about music at night in your condo when you chose to live next to the Replay.

I do believe that on most occasions it is nice to have some ability to know about these types of events, not only for businesses like hedshrinker's, but to also let people know it is happening so you can go and support the event.

However if you want "vibrant and alive" I think a certain amount of spontaneity needs to be not only allowed, but encouraged.

Greg DiVilbiss 1 year, 3 months ago

And what constitutes a parade?

The Asphalt Orchestra is 12 members.... so does 12 people walking down the street together make a parade...How about six cars with students honking horns after a game.

We can live in a drab, lifeless town like some of you believe Overland Park is or we can have a town that is alive with creativity and spontaneity. I say, we do not need permits for everything, we do not have to ban things that we prefer not to do, we do not have to micromanage at all. Making this kind of activity welcome enhances life here.

Really sorry that, Hedshrinker's environment was disturbed for the 3 1/2 minutes it took for the parade to walk by. It is peaceful and quiet in many parts of Lawrence, downtown should be alive, with music, artists, food and business.

hedshrinker 1 year, 2 months ago

First of all@ GregDiVilbiss, I take offense at your patronizing tone "(sorry about being disturbed for 3 i/2 minutes")....you might have felt differently if you were the distressed family trying to receive services in my office. As to yr comments about the definition of "parade": Asphalt Orchestra is not just 12 people walking down the street, but people with very loud musical instruments, heavy on unconventional percussion which turned out to be very disruptive, at least to me and my clients. Conversely, there have been many parades down Mass which were not noisily disruptive of business, altho were maybe disruptive of car traffic or pedestrians or to merchants . There are many professionals who office downtown:medical doctors, attorneys, therapists who benefit from the vitality of downtown but do not appreciate unpredictable noise and traffic/parking disruptions. Again, I find your painting of my concerns in this very black or white manner simplistic and uncompromising. I appreciate and endorse your advocacy of downtown being a welcoming environment of the arts and I bristle at your characterization of my position as "needing permits for everything,..banning things we do not prefer...micromanaging everything". Living in community DOES mean that often we DO have to notify others of our plans and negotiate with them The reality is that downtown Lawrence is a multi-use environment, including residential, I 'm curious if the people who have characterized me as the grumpy senior screaming "get off my lawn" live, office or own a business (other than a bar or restaurant) downtown. Your opinion about spontaneous disruptions may be influenced by whether you are working or partying.

bevy 1 year, 3 months ago

Saw these guys at the Lied center the Friday night after this - they were AWESOME! But loud.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.