Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Baker Wetlands burn

Comments

Lawrence Morgan 1 year, 6 months ago

Richard Gwin, thanks again for your excellent photos!

appleaday 1 year, 6 months ago

Man-made or not, wetlands are an important part of our environment:

http://water.epa.gov/type/wetlands/index.cfm

JustNoticed 1 year, 6 months ago

You're joking, right? I mean, surely you can't really think anything so completely and embarrassingly stupid as that, can you?

verity 1 year, 6 months ago

We are still in Kansas. Sigh.

KayCee 1 year, 6 months ago

Plenty of recent rain has insured that the 'bog' will continue.

kernal 1 year, 6 months ago

I for one like seeing the geese and ducks that stop there during their migrations.

riverdrifter 1 year, 6 months ago

You don't know what you're talking about.

2002 1 year, 6 months ago

I have been to the Baker wetlands and they are OK. But the truth remains that they are not natural and clean or not were not similar in the 1800's. Smoke and mirrors. Still I have no problem with keeping them around.

Ken Lassman 1 year, 6 months ago

"they are not natural and clean or not were not similar in the 1800's..."

Hmmm....there is a section of the Wakarusa wetlands that has never been plowed. And regarding the sections that have been restored, if an old growth forest is logged but then allowed to grow back in the same place, is it natural? Because the hydric soils and species present in the current wetlands have been there since glacial melt widened the Wakarusa valley some 600,000 years ago. Yes, it was different in the 1800s: there were some 13,000 acres of wetlands then, now it's reduced to less than 1000 including the restoration west of Louisiana.

And regarding its cleanliness, its ability to filter the runoff and groundwater that flows through it is its main asset to the larger community. That and its home to some of the most diverse plant and animal communities in the region as well as an invaluable way station to the many migratory species that pass through.

oldbaldguy 1 year, 5 months ago

it is a bog but it is our bog

Commenting has been disabled for this item.