Discussions

Reader comments

On Lawrence superintendent to chat Thursday about budget, issues

Comments

spiderd 5 years, 3 months ago

Everyone should know that Dr. Doll has a stated agenda to close many schools. He envisions 2 large mega elementary schools that are economically "efficient" but devoid of all the important things for elementary education. He's openly stated this in past meetings in the district, though unsurprisingly he's been mum on this subject lately. Many communities that have gone this route are now reeling and trying to get back to what they had, an impossible goal. Once their gone, their gone. Your school could be next.

JohnDa 5 years, 3 months ago

Wish he would have answered my question. Based on his responses I think his agenda is clear.

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 3 months ago

Spiderd--

We checked with Rick Doll and he unequivocally denied that he wants to build two large mega elementary schools. He says it's just not accurate.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

ajsmomma 5 years, 3 months ago

With all that is going on, and with all that the school board and Rick Doll is faced with, the last thing we need is someone like Spiderd out there spreading rumors that are most likely untrue. There is alot at stake here, please remember that many people hang on the words that are said. So lets all be careful with the rumor mill.

maudeandcecil 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm disappointed Dr. Doll didn't answer my questions more directly. I asked about the upcoming (or perhaps already happening) small sessions with board members. He said at the Monday board meeting that they (district staff) will meet with board members individually or in small groups of two to discuss the proposed cuts. In he's response, he doesn't directly say that is not happening, he just says that they abide by open meeting laws. I'm just curious- by keeping the meetings to no more than two people- the district can technically avoid violating the open meetings laws, correct? My frustration is ever growing... I don't trust the process one bit. I'll attend the next public forum out of civic duty and my duty to my children- but likely the forums mean nothing; they're too public.

Finally, am I the only one alarmed that he suggested that closing schools would not result in ratio increases? What is he talking about? That's just outright misleading.

deskboy04 5 years, 3 months ago

The administration used to fit into that annex building south of the high school.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.