Hierarchies Categories News Fires

News / Fires

Child categories

Category Path
2005 Boardwalk Fire /News/Fires/2005 Boardwalk Fire

Officials say Pet World fire was accidental 'electrical event', caused $500,000 in damage

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical officials ruled Thursday that the fire at Pet World, 711 W. 23rd St., was accidental, Fire Department Division Chief Eve Tolefree said.

Pet World owners vow to rebuild after fire destroys store, kills animals

Vigil scheduled for 8:20 p.m. Wednesday

In the wake of a Memorial Day fire that killed an undisclosed number of animals and injured dozens more, members of the Lawrence community flocked Tuesday to the burned ruin of Pet World, 711 W. 23rd St., to mourn and show support for the business that brought them so much joy. A candlelight vigil at the store was scheduled for Wednesday evening.

Tease photo

Pet World fire kills many small animals; python, some others survive

Community expresses heartbreak, support for popular store

An unknown number of animals died Monday in a midday fire at Pet World, 711 W 23rd St. Rescue workers brought out 20 to 30 tarantulas, many fish, a large python and other reptiles. In addition, Pet World's tortoises and some feeder rats, a few hamsters and gerbils were safe in separate locations. The store's mammals and birds died from smoke inhalation, Pet World's owners said.

Fire breaks out in Kansas University's Fowler Shops

Some Kansas University students were evacuated from their classes Tuesday afternoon after a fire broke out on the third floor of the Fowler Shops Building, 1435 Jayhawk Blvd.

Lawrence firefighters respond to house fire near Kennedy Elementary School

Lawrence firefighters are responding to a house fire in the 1500 block of Davis Road, near Kennedy Elementary School.

Retired Lawrence firefighter killed in Reno County crash

A 52-year-old former Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical firefighter died late Saturday after a one-vehicle accident near Turon, Reno County Sheriff’s Capt. Darrian Campbell said Tuesday.

Firefighters extinguish basement fire in 1000 block of New Jersey Street

Firefighters extinguished a fire in the basement of a home in the 1000 block of New Jersey Street on Tuesday afternoon.

Duplex fire in northwest Lawrence

Lawrence firefighters are quickly brought a duplex fire under control in the 3900 block of Overland Circle this morning.

Sheriff's office investigating allegations of missing money from Wakarusa Township fireman's fund

The Douglas County Sheriff's Office is investigating allegations about money missing from a fund associated with the Wakarusa Township Fire Department, a spokesman said. On Wednesday, Gerald Dwyer, a Wakarusa Township board member, told the Journal-World that a sheriff's investigator spoke to him about three or four weeks ago about money missing from the so-called firemen's fund.

Fire crews respond to flames, smoke at 2400 Alabama apartments

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical responded to a structure fire at 2400 Alabama apartments, 24th and Alabama streets, around 1:30 p.m. Thursday.

Guilty pleas entered in Burger King robbery

Sunny and comfortable weather in the forecast today with a high of 67 degrees. Winds will be out of the NW around 10 mph. Partly cloudy skies overnight and cool, with lows dipping into the mid 40s. Even warmer weather ...

School board cuts mental health support program

A storm slowly taking shape out to our west will turn winds, gusting at times up to 20 mph, from the southeast. The south bit of the wind will help to draw some warmer air into Northeast Kansas, Wednesday. Highs ...

KU dean addresses thin crowd about budget woes

We should see mostly sunny skies today as temperatures reach well into the 40s. We'll have mostly clear skies tonight, which will drop the temperature back down into the 20s. Expect temperatures to skyrocket into the upper-50s on Saturday. We'll ...

City in a hurry to start Kasold project

Expect snow to begin falling early this afternoon. We will be in a winter advisory for much of the day. Snow will continue to fall overnight resulting in 2-4 inches of snow by morning. Expect a high today around 20. ...

Outlet blamed in Free State fire

Showers are expected off and on through the morning. The wind will be out of the north between 10-20 mph with gusts near 30 leaving our daytime high at a cool 68 degrees. Our skies will clear for the evening ...

Fire delays expansion plans for Free State Brewery

Expect rain showers for the afternoon as clouds and a strong south wind begin to build in for the afternoon. Our high temperature will top out at 76 degrees with a south wind between 10-20 mph with gusts near 25. ...

Lawrence man to face trial for arson

After a cool start to the day, plenty of sunshine will help keep our temperatures in the mid 80's. Look for an afternoon high around 85 degrees with a light wind out of the southeast by late-day. Our evening temperature ...

House fire caused by illegal use of fireworks

Some patchy fog in the morning, but clearing out to be a hot and sunny day. House fire near campus caused by illegal use of fireworks: An early morning fire destroyed the home of eight KU students at 1005 Indiana. ...

Fraternity fire near 14th and Tennessee streets

Smoke and flames showing at Sigma Chi house, near 14th and Tennessee streets, just before noon on Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2014.

North Lawrence Fire

Crews respond to a fire at the intersection of Locust and North Fourth streets Thursday afternoon in North Lawrence.

Tuesday morning fire

Fire crews responded to a fire at an apartment complex at 2413 Ousdahl Road Tuesday morning around 7:15 a.m.

Crews respond to fire at Peppertree Apartments

Crews work to put out a fire at the Peppertree Apartment complex, 2100 Heatherwood Drive

Fire at Gaslight Village

Crews respond to a fire Tuesday morning at the Gaslight Village mobile home park on 31st Street.

Burning of the Baker Wetlands

Dr. Roger Boyd of Baker University, along with volunteers, participated in a controlled burn of the Baker Wetlands, Thursday April 5, 2012. The burn took place south of Lawrence, and is conducted annually to clear old grass, eliminate weeds and promote new growth.

Meadowbrook Apartment Fire

Crews respond to an early-afternoon fire at the Meadowbrook Apartment complex.

Family displaced by fire

Roger and Camay Guillory and their 9 children lost their rural Douglas County home in a fire early Friday morning.

After a fire, dogs continue to rescue

A fire destroyed Peggy Mersmann-Laptad's home on Sept. 29, but two of her dogs saved her boyfriend's life by waking him in time to escape. Mersmann-Laptad says her dogs continue to keep her going as she picks up her life after the fire. Photos of the fire by Nick Krug.

Rescue crews douse blaze in southwest Lawrence

Fire crews worked to put out a fire in the 2200 block of Rodeo Drive around midnight Sunday, Oct. 30, 2011.