News / Fires
|2005 Boardwalk Fire||/News/Fires/2005 Boardwalk Fire|
A Thursday night fire at a Lawrence hotel caused about $25,000 in damages, according to Douglas County Fire Medical.
The Econo Lodge at 2525 W. Sixth St. was evacuated late Thursday after flames were seen coming from a portion of the hotel's roof.
A fire Monday evening at a Lawrence duplex was caused by “misuse of an open flame device,” according to a news release Tuesday from Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical.
All six residents, including three young children, who were home at the time of a fire in a duplex on W. 26th Street were able to quickly escape the structure.
A fire in a duplex on Legends Drive Saturday caused about $150,000 in damages, Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical Division Chief Eve Tolefree said Monday.
Illegal firework violations can cost hundreds of dollars, jail time; police planning vigorous enforcement
Those looking to celebrate Independence Day with a bang may want to consider leaving the city limits if they want to avoid a hefty fine. Fireworks have been banned in Lawrence since 2002, but that didn’t stop many Lawrence residents last year from hosting their own backyard fireworks shows. In 2014, Lawrence police received 226 fireworks calls and issued 34 citations for illegal fireworks over the week of Fourth of July. By Caitlin Doornbos
A 52-year-old Lawrence man died after firefighters found him inside his burning garage early Saturday morning, Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical Chief Mark Bradford said Monday.
When a fire ruined beloved local pet store Pet World on Memorial Day, among owners’ worries was how the business would run the annual summer camps that have brought kids so much joy over the years. But through hard work and community support, one of the four different camps was able to go off without a hitch recently. By Caitlin Doornbos
First Christian Church will play host to a benefit concert on Monday evening for Pet World, which suffered a large fire on May 25, causing the 27-year-old Lawrence pet store to close its doors.
A family was displaced but no one was injured in a house fire in eastern Lawrence Monday evening. The fire, at 2517 Maverick Lane, was first spotted by 16-year-old Kade Bassett, who noticed smoke billowing from the house next door as he took his dogs out Monday evening, he said. As he walked to the side of the property, he began to see flames.
Sunny and comfortable weather in the forecast today with a high of 67 degrees. Winds will be out of the NW around 10 mph. Partly cloudy skies overnight and cool, with lows dipping into the mid 40s. Even warmer weather ...
A storm slowly taking shape out to our west will turn winds, gusting at times up to 20 mph, from the southeast. The south bit of the wind will help to draw some warmer air into Northeast Kansas, Wednesday. Highs ...
We should see mostly sunny skies today as temperatures reach well into the 40s. We'll have mostly clear skies tonight, which will drop the temperature back down into the 20s. Expect temperatures to skyrocket into the upper-50s on Saturday. We'll ...
Expect snow to begin falling early this afternoon. We will be in a winter advisory for much of the day. Snow will continue to fall overnight resulting in 2-4 inches of snow by morning. Expect a high today around 20. ...
Showers are expected off and on through the morning. The wind will be out of the north between 10-20 mph with gusts near 30 leaving our daytime high at a cool 68 degrees. Our skies will clear for the evening ...
Expect rain showers for the afternoon as clouds and a strong south wind begin to build in for the afternoon. Our high temperature will top out at 76 degrees with a south wind between 10-20 mph with gusts near 25. ...
After a cool start to the day, plenty of sunshine will help keep our temperatures in the mid 80's. Look for an afternoon high around 85 degrees with a light wind out of the southeast by late-day. Our evening temperature ...
Some patchy fog in the morning, but clearing out to be a hot and sunny day. House fire near campus caused by illegal use of fireworks: An early morning fire destroyed the home of eight KU students at 1005 Indiana. ...
Smoke and flames showing at Sigma Chi house, near 14th and Tennessee streets, just before noon on Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2014.
Crews respond to a fire at the intersection of Locust and North Fourth streets Thursday afternoon in North Lawrence.
Fire crews responded to a fire at an apartment complex at 2413 Ousdahl Road Tuesday morning around 7:15 a.m.
Crews work to put out a fire at the Peppertree Apartment complex, 2100 Heatherwood Drive
Crews respond to a fire Tuesday morning at the Gaslight Village mobile home park on 31st Street.
Dr. Roger Boyd of Baker University, along with volunteers, participated in a controlled burn of the Baker Wetlands, Thursday April 5, 2012. The burn took place south of Lawrence, and is conducted annually to clear old grass, eliminate weeds and promote new growth.
Crews respond to an early-afternoon fire at the Meadowbrook Apartment complex.
Roger and Camay Guillory and their 9 children lost their rural Douglas County home in a fire early Friday morning.
A fire destroyed Peggy Mersmann-Laptad's home on Sept. 29, but two of her dogs saved her boyfriend's life by waking him in time to escape. Mersmann-Laptad says her dogs continue to keep her going as she picks up her life after the fire. Photos of the fire by Nick Krug.
Fire crews worked to put out a fire in the 2200 block of Rodeo Drive around midnight Sunday, Oct. 30, 2011.